Subscriber Discussion

Dahua PTZ Snapshot Problem

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Aug 09, 2017

I have a modern Dahua 2MP PTZ about 10 months old.   I have setup to RTSP pull into Wowza and that works great.   The only issue I'm having is with grabbing snap shot photos from it over HTTP.    I found digging around google that this is the way its being done by others:

http://192.168.1.108/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?1

This works, but it is unreliable.  I'd say it fails 50% of the time with "HTTP 500" error.  

Do any of the Dahua gurus lurking here know of an issue with snapshots and if there is another method I should be using to grab still frames over HTTP?

Thanks,
Brian

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 09, 2017

Have you tried changing the 1 at the of the command to 0? 

It would also be advisable to get the latest firmware!

Dahua API isn't the most consistent across IPCs, so the 0 and 1 can be main or sub stream pending on what firmware you have.

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Aug 09, 2017

the value after the ?  seems irrelevant in my experiments.  it doesn't even need to be there.

I bought this factory new off alibaba in jan 2017, so i'm reluctant to try a USA dahua firmware update with fear it may brick it.   any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Brian

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 09, 2017

That value can be record type as well (0 for regular and 1 for motion) or else the actual stream so this is why I asked.

If it was an actual Dahua or a good Dahua OEM I am sure they would solve the issue for you via normal tech support lines, usually when the API commands are off or not working 100% they usually fix themselves with a newer firmware.

Best case is to contact your Alibaba seller to see if they give you a newer firmware if it is indeed a proper Dahua device. 

Updating un-official devices is hit and miss, buyer aware...

Fredrik Ahlsen
Aug 15, 2017

Dahua cgi got only one size on the snapshot. So the correct string is: http://192.168.1.108/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

You can not add any extra arguments to it.

And regarding buying from alibaba you risk getting a fake camera with a Dahua logo on it. http://www.dahuasecurity.com/news/statement-about-purchasing-products-from-unauthorized-channels-155.html

(1)
BD
Brian Dombrowski
Aug 15, 2017

Yes.  I tried that but is still not reliable.  About 50% of the calls work and the others get a HTTP500 error after a long time (10 seconds.)    I'll probably just use FFMPEG to pull stills from the RTSP stream.   This is for building timelapses.  

Cam has no logo but is very amazing other than this one issue with the snapshot.  It smokes my Axis P5415-E and at a fraction of the cost.

RS
Robert Shih
Aug 16, 2017
Independent

This is what happens when you're buying from the grey market. Sorry, no support from me this time.

BD
Brian Dombrowski
Aug 16, 2017

Figured it out and got it fixed.  Will be buying more.  Great camera and great price.  Good luck with your protectionism.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions