Subscriber Discussion

Dahua: HD-CVI Is Safer Than IP At Gas Stations

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Here's a new argument, courtesy of the HD-CVI Academy:

Gas Station

Different form other applications, the largest challenge for gas station application is the electric spark. For HDCVI surveillance system, all signals are transmitted in coaxial cable, which has thick insulating layer, so users shall never worry about the electric spark caused by unreliable cabling. Moreover, HDCVI 3.0 support POC. Therefore, the cameras can be powered by existing coaxial cable, instead of directly powered by power supplies. This can remarkably enhance the electric safety capability at reasonable cost.

FUD at its finest.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 04, 2016

"..all signals are transmitted in coaxial cable, which has thick insulating layer, so users shall never worry about the electric spark caused by unreliable cabling."

um. what?

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Sep 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yeah, this is a classic case of devious marketing. Shame on Dahua.

As noted in Hazardous Area Surveillance / Explosion 'Proof' Cameras, intrinsically safe ratings are applied to assemblies, including cameras installed in a hazardous area - not just cabling.

Coax is not intrinsically safe by design, nor is it moreso than Category cable by default.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Looks like overkill for a gas station. What's a typical classification for a gas station?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 05, 2016

As long as they stay in the gas station market they can claim whatever they want. Less of a threat down there.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Sep 07, 2016

Who has ever heard of a gas station blowing due to a camera? Who even wants to target that market?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Who has ever heard of a gas station blowing due to a camera?

There's a first time for everything, no?. Just do the right thing and scrap that sparky ethernet stuff. And if you absolutely must use cat cable, for heavens sake, don't overload the streams or run them under high compression. Just common sense really.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Sep 07, 2016

Good luck with that pitch. I have had dealings with new Americans and gas stations in the early days of business if it came to saving money or taking a chance of getting blown up. It still would of been saving money. Now when they call I make static noises and hang up.

(2)
Carlo Kuijer
Sep 08, 2016

Funny.....

they skipped some years in education i guess !

Old school issues on Coax !

A USP for HD-CVI/TVI/HD COAX is the extended range of infrastructure. But this is also the risk in this type of application. We all remember in the old day's getting a shock from are BNC connector ?

So lets use a Isolator then....Bye Bye POC

Its not safer or better then....issues remain the same !

Let me put it so we all can understand: (*this is a over exaggerated impression of a ground loop spark)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Update: After a little research, I found what may be another factor besides unreliably explosive ethernet cable, these suckers:

Believe it or not, these are actually designed to cause an explosion by igniting gasoline vapors. Why it is even legal to bring one into a gas station is beyond me.

(4)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions