Dahua Fan: "Time To Look For Another Camera Company"

JH
John Honovich
Jun 06, 2017
IPVM

Dahua does not have many fans to begin (see JD defecting to Hikvision) and evidently they have upset one of their most active proponents on LinkedIn:

On the plus side, Dahua continues to invest a lot of money into the USA operations so they may yet win him back.

(1)
(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 12, 2017

So, go out and buy the cheapest Chinese equipment made and then be disappointed when the support staff isn't around?  

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 12, 2017
IPVM

be disappointed when the support staff isn't around?

In fairness to Dahua, Dahua is definitely willing to spend the money to have a support staff (whether or not its profitable now or ever will be).

The challenge for Dahua in this instance is about employee turnover. However, it is unclear yet how significant or widespread that turnover will be. Dahua USA does continue to add net new employees.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 12, 2017

There is contempt from Chinese executives in regards to basic salary and benefit requirements of US workers. Corporate culture suffers as a result  

Benefits suck in comparison to European and American companies. 

They lure you in with competitive salaries and commission structures only to add fine print and unattainable goals once you grow the business. They unfairly and inconsistently deny expense reports nickel and diming employees to the point of frustration.  If you are successful in meeting goals and can endure all of that in hopes of opportunities for growth or advancement, your reward is parachuting Chinese directors rather than promoting from within.

Not a successful long term strategy in keeping quality talent. This will only get worse with Hik and Dahua. 

(2)
(5)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 12, 2017

Korean companies are the same, in my experience.

(1)
(2)
Sean Nelson
Jun 12, 2017
Nelly's Security

Is their any truth to this guys statement or did he just have a bad experience and wants to share it with the world?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 12, 2017
IPVM

Is their any truth to this guys statement

You mean his statement about people leaving? Yes.

Ryan Anderson
Jun 12, 2017

Is he upset that he received a blanket marketing call from Dahua?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Jun 13, 2017

Having dealt with both Hik and Dahua directly and having seen the employment contracts and pay rates I would have to say that both attracting and keeping good staff will be an issue. The pay rates are around 30%-50% below industry standard and the work requirements are in excess of the job role to the point that you are effectively doing two or three roles - they sneak in the extra responsibilities after the interview stages and do not want to pay recompense for them.

Additionally there is a set of IP clauses involved that basically states that everything you have ever know, know now, and ever will know is the sole property of the company. Regardless of what you do in your spare time it belongs to them. The fact that you know how to tie your own shoes becomes their IP.

Massive over-extension of reach into peoples lives, work duties and expectations without recompense and the guarantee that you will have a legal battle if you do anything anywhere else if they so choose.

Terrible work environment to expect people to step into. If you are a seasoned professional you would not do this unless there was no other option to survive. They are probably some of the worst contracts I have ever seen.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 13, 2017
IPVM

Having dealt with both Hik and Dahua directly ... The pay rates are around 30%-50% below industry standard

That is not what we have seen in North America. I am not saying pay rates Dahua and Hikvision pay is at Avigilon levels (which historically have been at the high end but also with high turnover). However, Hik and Dahua NA sales pay seem to be fairly competitive with other big companies in the industry.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 13, 2017

Agreed. 

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2017
IPVM

Good news for Dahua. Their fan is back on board and excited about Dahua face recognition:

(1)
(4)
David Delepine
Jul 16, 2017
Brivo • IPVMU Certified

Yeah I have also noticed that John in the last few weeks has been back on the Dahua train. Before you posted this article I had reached out to him myself to find out if it was Dahua he was referencing. I wanted to know what issues he had experienced and see if there was anything for me to be worried about.

I have been a Dahua dealer for almost a year now, and have even started reselling/wholesaling their cameras over the last few months. I am concerned about their rapid expansion and many sudden changes they are making this year (china ceo step down, us ceo demoted, complete rewrite of the dealer program, change to their pricing/msrp/map/etc).

However I have been happy with their level of support and service, and am really liking their new h265 product offerings. I also appreciate the fact that I am able to maintain decent margins, and even able source product for other installation companies below average distributor cost while making a small profit!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions