John Honovich
Feb 24, 2018
IPVM

Anyone with thoughts?

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Feb 24, 2018

We visited Dahua last November and were very impressed by the factory. It is soooooo big and clean!

Funny thing how they try to cover the Bosch and Panasonic boxes when visitors are passing by :-)

It was a pity some questions weren’t answered honest, like working hours, pay rate, ...

(2)
MS
Mohamed Shedid
Mar 28, 2018

what do you mean by they tried to cover the bosch and panasonic boxes? you mean the OEM Line of Bosch and Panasonic??

CD
Chalon Dilber
Feb 24, 2018

In the last part, every one of them missed a golden opportunity to grab mind/market share from Hik and address Dahua's biggest challenges in the U.S. and Western markets:  cybersecurity and channel integrity.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 24, 2018

I would consider having a native English speaker edit the subtitles.

(2)
bm
bashis mcw
Feb 25, 2018

My thoughts: B.S

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 25, 2018

B.S. What?

please explain

JH
John Honovich
Feb 25, 2018
IPVM

I won't speak for Bashis but I did have a similar BS reaction.

First, on the positive side, I think the video is well done and I think the trip genuinely boosts confidence in overseas employees. More broadly, Dahua, like Hikvision, is good at putting on a show.

The negative is that once you know how poorly Dahua's products work and how many egregious mistakes they have made, the show is undercut by that.

But let's give credit. Take, for example, this Dahua USA employee who declares that after visiting HQ, he 's now confident that they can do facial recognition and more all in one:

Given that Dahua struggled to figure out which of their many security vulnerabilities caused the massive global hacks 6 months ago, I am skeptical (and he should be too) that Dahua has solved facial recognition and end-to-end solutions (well at least to Western quality standards).

p.s. #3 - still waiting for your response on Hikvision port forwarding here.

U
Undisclosed #4
Mar 15, 2018

Did you expect the Chinese communists not to put on a good show for the world to see?

If its  Hikvision or Dahua or any other communist organization they only put on that happy face to trick the people into thinking that all is great.

What amazes me is that a few short years ago people recognized what communism is and does to a society but now we welcome it and even think that they are our friends. We promote these company's that are a cancer to our society due to job loss and pump them full of American $$$ and think nothing of it while it is rotting our manufacturing and company's to the core.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2018
IPVM

Did you expect the Chinese communists not to put on a good show for the world to see?

If its Hikvision or Dahua or any other communist organization they only put on that happy face to trick the people into thinking that all is great

I do recognize they put on a good show. They deserve credit, all ethics aside, for it. Also, people need to be observant about how good they are putting on a show. In the US, there is so much open conflict and debate, it's not a good show but it's a much better reality than using censorship and violence to keep people in check

(1)
jf
janet fenner
Mar 15, 2018

Please keep in mind this video was intended more for the directors to comment on what they speculated prior to their visit and then post visit. It was just a simple interview of what our thoughts were and an opportunity to see how our company operated. Reading into this is for more than that is not worth taking yourself down a rabbit hole. There were no predetermined answers and the questions were asked on the spot. All in all it was a good opportunity and a great way for a company to invest in their employees.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2018
IPVM

Reading into this is for more than that is not worth taking yourself down a rabbit hole.

Janet, we are putting it the context of Dahua's challenging 2017, with the backdoor, the hacks, etc.

How are things at Dahua now? How's Business Development doing?

GS
Gerald Spradlin
Mar 15, 2018

It was just a simple interview of what our thoughts were and an opportunity to see how our company operated.

How your company operated?

Janet, I suspect you're new to Dahua. Rabbit Hole? You have no idea.

Dahua shouldn't even be allowed to be in the USA. Or Hik for that matter.
Elon Musk publicly asked why an American cannot own a majority share of their OWN Company in China when the USA has no such law. Why? Because Dahua, essentially ALL Chinese realize if the playing field was fair, they'd lose. Musk went on to complain the Chinese impose a 25% tax on his vehicles and America is only 2.5%
That blatant immoral behavior applies to CCTV as well. Musk went on to state adeptly, it's like running in the Olympics with lead filled shoes. Its the ONLY way China can win. They cant innovate, they cant play fair, they have to cheat.

NO ONE should admire or respect any Chinese entity. Why did Pelco shut down its California operation? The Chinese realized Pelco's PTZ superior and was selling too well in China. Pelco forced into a tariff that ended any possibility of keeping those jobs in California. Bad for Americans, but a nice super growth highway for Dahua and Hik.
Apply that disgusting tactic to everything imaginable.

Does Dahua even make an NVR or DVR that DOES NOT use an Hisilicon Processor?
Isn't Hisilicon owned by Huawei? A company the US Government bans all their "network" related products due to security concerns? A company even mighty ATT decided nope, not going to sell them due to security risks, Gee, color us surprised hack after hack and dozens of backdoor user/passwords are discovered in our NVR/DVR.

I admire and respect Axis.
I don't distribute their products nor have anything to gain by that statement.
I believe they are owned by Canon, a Japanese company and that likely explains why their reputation fantastic. Dahua? Hikvision?
I don't think "admiration" comes to mind.

Innovation?

Doesn't exist anymore. The day Hisilicon replaced Blackfin, Texas Instruments, Ambarella, etc. is the day this industry became handcuffed. ALL the CHINESE simply stamp out whatever chip and features Hisilicon provides. Wouldn't surprise me if its China Law for these makers to ONLY be allowed to use Hisilicon in their NVR and DVR.
Heaven forbid Dahua and Hik ever start advertising openly and precisely what make/model of DSP and image sensor are being utilized. Could you imagine if laptop makers refused to tell you if its AMD or Intel? Or an I3 or an I7? You get the point.

Someday, we can all dream.
Shut these companies down, simply apply same rules China does.
The sentiment is growing.

Sean Nelson
Mar 15, 2018
Nelly's Security

Will we ever see such an upscale factory of security products in the USA?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2018
IPVM

Sean, so are you back on the Dahua boat? :)

Btw, it's a marketing video Sean, keep that in mind.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Mar 15, 2018
Nelly's Security

No, but you can't help but admire these factories.

I do realize its a marketing video but nonetheless, look at the beauty and the size of the exterior of the building. Their manufacturing floors and showrooms. I dont think they photoshopped that. And from what I hear from people who have visited, it is quite awesome. 

I don't think we will have a manufacturing "plant" that manufacturers surveillance equipment like that in the USA in the near future. I hope we do though.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Mar 15, 2018

They neglected to show the factory-attached dormitories where the indentured slaves sleep.

GS
Gerald Spradlin
Mar 15, 2018

Yes Sean,  with enough money made via fraud, deception, Intellectual property theft, ownership of the huge Chinese Communist Government, infinite working capital, laws preventing ANY fair trade, yes, you can build beautiful factories.

Maybe its simply television, but when they document a drug cartel, they seem to have homes and cars we all find beautiful.

At times I feel like an immoral drug dealer selling NVR and DVR.
Every sale grows Hisilicon/Huawei and every sale damages this country.

ANYONE have a "non Hisilicon" NVR solution, please, please market it so we can begin the long hard road of no dependency on the Chinese.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Mar 15, 2018

Only if Foxconn starts making cameras in Wisconsin.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Mar 15, 2018

You will know when you start seeing buildings crop up with anti-suicide netting.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions