Subscriber Discussion

Customer Specifies IP Cameras In Eight Elevator Cars

BB
Bruce Beckwith
Apr 28, 2017

I have a job requiring IP camera installation in eight elevator cars. We have verified with the elevator company that there is three pairs of 18-2 shielded cable available in each cars traveling cable. We are thinking of some kind of media converter at each end of the traveling cable and using PoE injector an top of the car to power the camera. What are your thought or suggestions? What would be a good media converter to use? The camera has to remain an IP camera as specified by the customer.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Apr 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

#1 It is AGAINST most Elevator codes to plug anything into the service  outlet above the cab. (You must add an outlet)

#2 I would check and make sure there is NO COAX in that travel cable as 99% of travel cables over the last few years have one or more. Then you can slam in a Hikvision Turbo-HD IP Camera (IP Camera & power over Coax) and you are DONE.

(1)
(3)
(1)
BB
Bruce Beckwith
Apr 28, 2017

#1 the elevator maintenance company will be doing this.

#2 100% no coax available only 3, 18-2 twisted pair

Joseph Trowbridge
Aug 25, 2017

Bruce - What did you determine was the solution?  What did you use and how did it turn out?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 28, 2017

Jeez!  Go apply with HIKvision, already!  

(2)
(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Apr 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Get over it!

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 08, 2017

Stop.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Apr 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just had a similar problem (outside cameras going up an existing light pole and i specified Vigitron UTP extenders. Not sure if the existing traveling cable qualifies as UTP since the gauge is wrong and the twist is unknown. 

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Apr 28, 2017

We like NVT units for this; EC1701 with baluns to run over 2-wire. On the cab end no need for PoE injector, you just run your 18/2 into the baluns, plug into the NVT unit, and plug your camera into the other end and get PoE and connectivity back. Nice thing is if you have multiple cabs going back to the same machine room, you can run up to 4 cabs back to 1 NVT base unit

(5)
(4)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 07, 2017

I can assist here. I just finished doing a 3 site 30 Elevator upgrade from analog (over Cat5 balun pairs) to full IP cameras to every elevator.

I originally wanted to use Vigitron; however it was determined that if you use twisted pair copper (22 gauge, 18 gauge, 16 gauge, etc.) you will have issues with the 2401A equipment because the system must "negotiate" with the 2400A device to establish a 10MB or 100MB signal. 

I ended up using the NVT 1801 devices and using the single pair Cat5 (24 gauge) to properly work in the elevators that were ran with Cat5 (first pair Balun, and local 12VC to the top of the elevator car)

However, I've successfully installed Vigitron over coax runs and had minimal issues. The secret to their reliability is that the coax is shielded and is not affected by external noise. You can also get up to 100Mb/s connection.

Please be aware that if you use both NVT and Vigitron near each other (same conduit), the Vigitron will lose connectivity due to interference by radiating signals.

I recommend contacting Vigitron support to validate your configuration.

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Jul 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Has anyone attempted to circumvent the whole wired approach?

We have a Navy contract to Install cameras in (50) elevators with different degrees of connectivity due to age and differing manufacturers of the elevators. We dropped the whole "hardwired" scenario and simply had NAVFAC install one receptacle above the cab inside the electrical troth. We used an inexpensive <$20 T-Link travel Router connected to 2.8mm IP Cameras w/ SD cards. Supplied the client with a Laptop. Client needs data they walk into the elevator fire up the Laptop, connect to the wireless router and WA-la they a couple weeks worth of Video. In-expensive and much-much labor saving then dealing with travel cable hassles, elevator service companies, etc.

(1)
GC
Greg Cortina
Aug 25, 2017

Marty,

We had an installation company do that idea on their own for a small building complex with about 60 hard to get to cameras. 

After a few months, they wired them back to local recorders.

I hope yours turns out better for the Navy. 

Greg

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Client needs data they walk into the elevator, fire up the Laptop, connect to the wireless router and WA-la they a couple weeks worth of Video

What happens when they walk into the elevator, and voilà, no camera?

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If they are that Ballisey, check your elevator landing video and arrest the bandits.

U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...check your elevator landing video...

What do I look for and on what day/time?

A Ballisey Bandit with a dome-like bulge in his jacket?

(1)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions