Subscriber Discussion

Customer Asked For A Mobile Solution, What Questions To Ask?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Mar 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Someone I have worked with before seems to be starting a new venture and asked for a mobile solution.

All I know is it is 3-4 vehicles, possibly limousines.

We are meeting in a couple days to discuss more details.

Questions I have so far:

How do you want to pull data? Should footage be downloaded automatically when back at the depot or manually as needed? Comcast has wifi hot spots all over our area. Is it possible to detect hot spots and the system would automatically upload when possible?

Real time access via cell?

What exactly should the cameras cover? interior/exterior etc?

I know there was a discussion just a couple weeks ago but I can not find it

Scott Bradford
Mar 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

trying to connect to Wi Fi hot spots while mobile is going to be next to impossible. The handoff just isn't fast enough.

If they want 'real time' video, you'll have to put a cell card in each car. The CATCH is, mobile streaming of IP video is going to absolutely destroy your data plan. (I'm talking 100 gigs a month). Unless you turn the video quality WAY down (like, to SIF) or if you can find an NVR that transcodes.

I used to be the mobile NVR product manager for a company. I spent a lot of time looking at mobile options.    I only came across one product that would actually do it, reasonably, and that's the Servision  MVG-400.   It's analog though, and very picky about what cellular devices it uses.   IT gives you audio, and GPS tracking though, which is cool.

If you want to retrieve the video afterwards, or just have automatic offload via Wifi when the cars 'get home' then your options get better.

What should the cameras cover? Well that depends on what you're trying to protect. I worked with a towing company. They wanted 2 things..  A: to watch driver behavior (so we put a camera facing forward out the windshield) and B: to prove to their 'customers' that their vehicle wasn't damaged by the tow truck, so we put a camera facing backwards.

If you're thinking of putting cameras in the CAB of a limo, I think you're going to run into privacy/legal issues.. 

I'd love to hear what other people have done for mobile deployments..

NB
Nicolas Bellego
Mar 14, 2017

Servision has an IP Solution as well now.

Mike Dotson
Mar 14, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

The questions about how to get your data are spot on.   You have to match the 'infrastructure' to the VMS application capabilities (assuming you are going to use one).

I know the newer Milestone code allows many methods to get data from a mobile installation....even a cell phone.

I recall Genetec has a similar set of capabilities as well.

If you are also considering a small mobile server on the vehicles please contact one of our sales folks for guidance.   The units we have cover many scenarios.

Craig Mc Cluskey
Mar 15, 2017

Jay,

For other articles on the same subject, check out

Advice On Vehicle-Based Camera Systems

and

Using IP Cameras And An NVR On a Semi Tractor And Trailer

Craig

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Here is an update:

Customer will be providing private transportation for prisoners and mental health patients in cars such as the infamous Crown Vic, as well as full 30-40 passenger buses.

Details:

• Vehicles may travel out of state and may not be home for several days
  • So they will need a NVR/DVR instead of edge recording, they would like 30 days of recording time
  • At this time no external coverage, just coverage of passenger and driver area
  • They would like to have real time access to cameras. This will not be a full time streaming situation, but they will require a cellular connection
  • A bonus but not required would be integration of their body cameras

I have seen some recorders, I checked out the Servision website but the specs on the IVG400 seem to be the same as the older model

• 4-ch video inputs, 2-ch audio input
  • Proprietary/patented video compression technology, ideal for transmitting live video over cellular/wireless connections
  • Built-in Wi-Fi, GPS, G-Force (accelerometer)
  • Geofencing, Speed Limit, Idle Monitoring and Route Deviation
  • D1/CIF/QCIF recording up to 30FPS
  • 4-input sensors; 2-output activators (dry-contact)
  • Data rate: variable 5kbps to 2Mbps per channel
  • Bi-directional audio support; built-in speaker
  • Patented shock absorbers increase system reliability
  • Recording: Event-driven or Continuous
  • Ignition-sensitive delayed system shutdown
  • Power input: 9-36V; Max. power consumption: 9W
  • Operating temperature: 0C – 45C; 32F – 113F (extended: -5C-65C)
  • Dimensions: 185(W)x158(D)x76(H) mm; 7.2”x6.2”x2.9”
  • Weight: 2kg; 4.8 lbs

Cameras, what do we do for cameras? We usually sell Dahua, and I think a Dahua dome is going to be a little big in the back seat of a Crown Vic.

Thanks

(1)
Joel Rosario
Apr 10, 2017

Hi, Jay Hobdy. According to this update, my suggestion is as follows:

1. I recommend using Axis cameras with Zipstream technologies, High-corrosion resistance against sea water and chemicals, Enhanced Lightfinder and WDR - Forensic Capture, and  Electronic Image Stabilization where you save a lot on the bandwidth of a cellular connection.
Here I attach an Axis link: https: //www.axis.com/dk/en/products/axis-q3505-sve

2. I recommend using the Milestone Xprotect version that suits you according to the number of cameras that include double track audio, where you will use the configuration of recording streams when you have a return to one or two parking spots of vehicles, where the servers VMS and NVR hosted. The configuration of several rules in Milestone, will allow you to use micro or SD memory recordings to NVRs in high quality videos, while milestone xprotect mobile version allows you to access in real time the cameras, previously configured for the Saving bandwidth, in the camera and in the vms.
Links about Milestone VMS:
Https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/clients/milestone-mobile/
Https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/try-our-software/
Link to train on Milestone
Https://go.bluevolt.com/Milestone/Home/

Report IPVM about essential version.

https://ipvm.com/reports/ess-sub

3. I recommend using servers that support Intel Quick Sync processors, for better equipment performance and lower long-term costs.

https://ipvm.com/reports/milestone-hardware-vmd

https://www.milestonesys.com/files/White%20papers/Intel-MilestoneSystems-QuickSyncVideo_HW%20acceleration-WP_r04%20Final.pdf

The subject of a camera in the body is ample but it is covered by Milestone in the following link, would only be to choose a compatible camera or that works under ONVIF profile G of preference.
Https://www.milestonesys.com/press-releases/20160305-devicepack8.5/

Certainly all this is a little complex but once you build it, you can scale it very easily.

In case you want more specific details of the above mentioned topics, please clarify your doubts with a Milestone representative by the contact channels or also within the IPVM community can guide you better.

Best regards.

Ml
Mendy lewis
Apr 10, 2017
Safezone24

Check netgear arlo solution, it's battery operated, according to spec should last 30 days, then recharged I believe there is a option to hardwire power, each cam are LTE, recording to cloud 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions