Subscriber Discussion

Creating Technician Evaluation Form - What Would You Include?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 28, 2017

A member asked to us to create a technician evaluation form. We're starting with these ten points to get the conversation going:

• Speed (average speed of specific common tasks, measured over ten attempts)
  • Accuracy (number of call-backs traced to installation error over the previous year)
  • Safety (number of unsafe incidents recorded by supervisor)
  • Driving (number of speeding tickets or accidents)
  • Efficiency (Measured by amount of consumables used, compared to company average. Only works with if company has at least three techs in a single shop.)
  • Major incidents (tools lost, equipment destroyed or damaged, customer property damaged or destroyed through negligence)
  • Time and attendance (times called out, times late, times no-show/no-call)
  • Customer feedback (both complaints and praise)
  • Neatness (whether tech cleans jobsite during and after installation and keeps truck and tools neatly organized)
  • Professionalism (whether technician keeps company uniforms, vehicles, and equipment in good order and acts professional with customers, vendors, coworkers, and others)

What would you add?

Related: Surveillance Install Labor Guide

(2)
DV
Don Volino
Mar 28, 2017

1.Communications skills -  verbal and written

2. Initiative - shows interest in leading and learning new technology

3. Work Relations........customers and fellow employees

4. Capable of being a mentor for new employees

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2017
IPVM

Ari, Don, good inputs!

I was wondering how integrators measure some of these. For example, you both mentioned customer feedback. Do most integrators track that rigorously? Are there surveys given to customers after each job asking about each technician? Or are the exceptions (good or bad reports) kept on file for each tech, etc.?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 28, 2017

Depends on the size and, frankly, professionalism, of the back office. Larger and more aggressive companies will follow up with customers after a while and at set intervals, to see if they are happy with the system and if they would maybe like to buy some cool add-ons that just happen to be on sale this month, but act now, because it goes back up to the regular price in 10 days. Often, this process includes a short survey. 

But even the slammiest of installers will take a note of any feedback, good or bad, that made a customer so passionate they had to call or email. Stuff like "the technician was so nice, he was so patient when showing us how to use the system" or "your technician sucked, he left a mess and didn't even show us half the features". 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2017
IPVM

But even the slammiest of installers will take a note of any feedback, good or bad, that made a customer so passionate they had to call or email. Stuff like "the technician was so nice, he was so patient when showing us how to use the system" or "your technician sucked, he left a mess and didn't even show us half the features".

Agree. What I was asking is about how formal it is, i.e., how common is it to go into a file / record or is it just a mental note made by the 'boss'?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 28, 2017

Most companies keep written files on their customers nowadays, even if it's just Quickbooks or whatever. Most common practice I've seen is to keep these kinds of notes there, so you can avoid sending a technician on a service call if you know the customer doesn't like them, or deliberately sending a technician they do like. 

RS
Robert Sears
Mar 28, 2017

One thing I found missing in the evaluation I have found useful that is always the vendors fault is..

How many return calls are generated by a tech not completely solving the problem or failing to investigate the systems properly. It applies to costs to customer in additional travel charges plus inoperative or failed zones in system that can generate fines by local authorities.

This might be included in Efficiency

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Mar 28, 2017

Good point! I think we'll roll that into Efficiency: basically, any company or customer time or money wasted because of a tech's error.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions