Subscriber Discussion

CPTED Value? CPTED Certification?

mh
mark holm
Jul 17, 2017

As a Security Consultant; I hear a lot of comments from Architects about Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED). In some cases, Architects look for Security Consultants who hold CPTED certifications. Does anyone have a feeling for which CPTED certification (there are several) has the most value in the marketplace? Is CPTED a strong enough consideration so that Contractors keep a CPTED practitioner on staff?

geert Huisman
Jul 17, 2017

Great question, I also would like to know

Rob Hammond
Jul 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Great topic!  I am an advocate of CPTED, but I see very little call for it with architects here in the San Francisco market.  It would be great if more architects saw the value of it, and allowed our industry to help them in the early stages of design.

(3)
MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Jul 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I know of very few contractors with CPTED certs.  Its more of a consultant certification.  I have my credentials through the American Crime Prevention Institute (ACPI).   To me they are one of the top companies offering certification. The other big one is NCPI (National Institute of Crime Prevention).  That being said i am unsure of if there is one that is more valued then the other as I've never been asked about it.  As a consultant i think any CPTED training will prove valuable even if you are just reading Tim Crowe's book.  You can also look into the CPTED series of webinars being offered by ASIS.  Its not a certification, but it may help in your decision making.    

*Note: I was a co-presenter for the first presentation in that series offered by ASIS.  

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 17, 2017

I agree that it is an important topic to learn about. It helps you to differentiate and offer additional solutions besides just cameras or alarms, etc, but looking at a holistic approach. I feel it helps you to be a stronger consultant, and not just trying to sell 1 product... 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions