Subscriber Discussion

Long Range Covert Mic Needed

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 10, 2014

I am looking for a covert microphone to pick up voices outside a guard booth up to 50 feet away. Any suggestions.

The audio is to be connected to Avigilon fixed camera mounted on guard booth so that audio can be recorded and played back on Avigilon ACC VMS.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 10, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Depends. Do you mean 1) a bubble fifty feet across, 2) fifty feet in every direction, or 3) a spot fifty feet away?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 10, 2014

It is firty feet in front of mic, 180 degrees in front of mic

Ari Erenthal
Mar 10, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, none of the Louroe mics will do it. Crown neither.

Anyone else have an idea?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 11, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Not weatherproof, and won't reach 50 feet out.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I cannot find something covert and long range in an off-the-shelf product, so I'm curious too.

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 11, 2014

How about a "nearby" covert mic (like, in or on the shack) with some form of wireless transmission back to the camera?

Unfortuntely the only mics I'm aware of that will do what you want - pick up audio specifically from a point 50' away without massive background noise - tend to be shotgun or parabolic reflector types, neither of which is anywhere in the same universe as "covert".

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 11, 2014

... tend to be shotgun or parabolic, neither of which is anywhere in the same universe as "covert"

Not to mention that neither of them is anywhere in the same universe as "180 degree pickup"

Maybe an 6.0 array of staggered parabolics bussed into a small format preamp/mixer both mounted in a custom built enclosure designed to look like a disused Porta-Potty might meet the specification.

But unless this is a defense dept. budgeted project, you are probably better off building a weatherproof enclosure for the acoustic magic array and cranking the gain to 11.

JA
J. A. 'Cal' Calcaterra
Mar 11, 2014

Covert is a misleading word. Well ... Most anything can be hidden in plain sight. An 'optical delusion' works. Been to Disney land? :-)

Even the parabolic and shot gun units. Might start with an oogler search |DYI snooper microphone| then select images from the tool bar on the presentation page. A whole bunch! Yep a few 'make your own'. All this with out some information to show the guard shack, FOV, or focus point of sound.

Workings? The right shotgun mic (size, count and length) of tubes married to a suitable microphone for the job. The placement? Again hidden in plain sight? Should get results. Hidden may be under a false ceiling of the guard shack. Pointing through a mesh, slats etc. on the face of the guard shack. There is a solution out there.

Having said that. I like Matt's. wireless (or even buried) solution.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 11, 2014

Most anything can be hidden in plain sight.

Then spare me the Edgar and instead hide these vintage War Tubas in plain sight and we're done!

JA
J. A. 'Cal' Calcaterra
Mar 11, 2014

Tee hee. Mr Disney I ain't. Then again, 'Most' doesn't equate to 'Every'. Or, Not all realities ..... Are. It seems.

Reality - Wikipedia Well maybe.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 11, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I went to Disney World once. Their security is amazing. I told my wife "I want to work for Disney Security. They don't even have to pay me, I just want to sit and learn at their feet."

Note to Disney Human Resources, whom I assume is reading this, because why wouldn't they be: I am interested in working for you but I do actually have some pretty firm salary requirements.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 12, 2014

Pack your bags and say goodbye to your friends and those cold NY winters; you are headed to the Sunshine State to become a certified Intellegence Analyst with Walt n. Co.

Just as a formality please fill out the employment request document here: Highlights are higlighted.

The position of Intelligence Analyst (IA) within TWDC, Global Security enterprise must support a wide diversity of customers within the Walt Disney Company for threat assessment and intelligence purposes with the goal of ensuring the safety of employees, facilities, guests and the Disney brand. This requires the IA to be flexible to meet the potential 24/7 tactical requirements ranging from travelling ABC News reporters headed into war zones and high risk locations; maritime and country evaluations for Disney Cruise Lines and Adventures By Disney port security reviews and risk assessments for film and television productions and international sporting events. The IA must rapidly learn the global risk environment and understand threats to theatrical, studio and high value executive travelers; as well as assessing the potential for social and cyber threats to Disney products, enterprises and its global brand. In addition, the IA will be required to contribute to strategic assessments produced for business leaders to understand the risks associated with business development decisions. The IA works in team environment with defined, yet highly flexible, requirements often dictated by changing customer needs. As a result, the ideal candidate for this position must be prepared to respond to short fused requirements and be flexible to support the company. In addition, the ideal candidate must be able to think critically, write objectively and effectively and be able to brief accurately and with confidence.

"Step away from the global brand!"

p.s. This was the closest fit I could find for you; they just filled the "Irreverant Electronic Ruminator" slot, though there is still an open "Undercover Goofy" position, shoes included...

Ari Erenthal
Mar 12, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Preferred candidate will possess, or be within background scope to activate, a Secret level, or above, U.S. Government security clearance.

0_o

Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Area Studies, International Politics, International Relations or Psychology.

Boo. There goes that idea.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions