Subscriber Discussion

Cost Effective Decoders (Alternative To Spot Box)

Fredrik Ahlsen
Apr 23, 2017

I`m looking for some good and reliable decoders.

Here is what I need:

• 1-8 Channel input
  • ONVIF support
  • HDMI out
  • Remote controlled
  • Autostart with defined view

Spot Box 4K have all the features I need, but its way to expensive ($655) i think.
So I'm looking for alternatives.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 28, 2017

First, I don't think $655 is "way too expensive", depending on how well it performs. Compare it to NLSS Decoder at around $1,000. There are less expensive decoders. We tried the Aimetis decoder which is a couple hundred less than the Spot Box you posted. It's pretty neat in that you can power it solely on POE, and you can use a mouse on it. But it does not have a remote, it is pretty slow coming up, doesn't let you set things like framerate and missing some key features like setting up camera rotations. So everything is a tradeoff.

(1)
(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

For what it does (or might do, is it even out yet?) $655 doesn't seem too bad.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 28, 2017

Check GeoVision Decoder Box Plus, distributors are selling it at around $300.

(1)
DE
Dennis Eversole
Apr 28, 2017

ACTi ECD-1000 does 4 channels @ 1080P/30fps, up to 16 at lower res/fps.  Generally available for $400 or less (talk to your ACTi RSM).  Remote software available - even supports wired or wireless mouse/kb, 12V or PoE Power.  Alternatively, I have been experimenting with a Win 10 PC Stick with Ethernet port/HDMI Out for about $170 - runs IE or Client Software.  I have had good results with 8+ channels (it's an Atom CPU, so don't expect jaw dropping performance).

Full disclosure - I work for ACTi, and tested the PC Stick with NVR 3 Workstation.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 28, 2017

Thanks for the heads up on both of those, Dennis! The ACTi looks like it gives us more control than other decoders we tried and I didn't realize the stick PC's have come along so far.

DE
Dennis Eversole
Apr 28, 2017

The PC Sticks wont make you want to give up your Desktop, but I am pretty happy with the price/performance.  I am hoping someone comes out with an i3 Kaby Lake CPU version in the near future. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 01, 2017

The windows PC Stick does come in a mobile i3 version. Although it's a bit mroe expensive than the atom version.

Jubal Routley
May 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Interesting, looks like they took an Android TV box, put some custom software on it and may be got a custom remote made for them.

Fredrik Ahlsen
May 02, 2017

I think so too, looks like a Android TV box, witch is usually priced between $50 - $200

Anyone here who can recommend an app to run on android to use it as a quad for showing 4 IP cameras?

AM
Arup Mukherjee
May 02, 2017
Camect, Inc.

Tinycam monitor pro works quite well on my phone. I imagine it would work well for this purpose too. There is a free ad-supported version as well that you could try it to see if it serves your purposes well. 

Fredrik Ahlsen
May 02, 2017

Does it support to autostart with the set view after a reboot/power loss?

I need a solution that can work for years without any attention from the user.

AM
Arup Mukherjee
May 02, 2017
Camect, Inc.

There is a setting for "auto-start live view on boot" which sounds like it does what you want, although I have not personally used it.  Whether or not the box will turn on automatically after a power loss would depend on the box you're buying. 

If it really needs to work for _years_ without attention from the user, I'd be somewhat reluctant to use any kind of android box, because it's hard to turn off all of the various auto-updates that get pushed out that may cause issues that weren't there when you first set the box up. 

(1)
Fredrik Ahlsen
May 03, 2017

Tinycam seems to work very well. I have set it up now an a rooted android box. I also got teamviewer on it so that I can set it up and control it remotely.

So now I got a working alternative for far less han $655:)

Only issue is that I need PlayStore + a google account to install the pro version. And that is a hassle when you are working on devices to sell.

Kestutis Nagys
May 03, 2017

I just wonder, why you can't use simple Chinese 8 channels NVR (usually they support ONVIF) without HDD? It will cost you far less and meets all your requirements...

(1)
Fredrik Ahlsen
May 03, 2017

We have done that in many cases. But here is a little list of drawbacks:

1. If you not set up time correctly on all NVRs you can loose recordings due to time missmatch.

2. NVRs are heavy on the network, because they always get the main stream. (With android+tinycam I can set it to only connect to second stream ans save a lot of bandwidth)

(1)
Kestutis Nagys
May 03, 2017

1. You can use NTP time synchronization. And by the way, we are talking about decoding only (decode IP cameras streams and display video on connected monitor) or you need full surveillance solution (recording, displaying on local monitors, remote clients, mobile app)?

2. It depends on NVR and app settings, in most cases you can configure system as you need.

Fredrik Ahlsen
May 03, 2017

1. I know that it can be set up correctly and work. I only say its a chance for installers to screw up and my experience is that it can have serious consequences. For that reason I want a different solution. But I agree that using NVRs are a valid alternative.

2. My experience is that even if some NVRs have settings to choose to use second stream for local preview the NVR still connect to main stream as well. So the network load is high even if we do not use the main stream. I found this by looking at the actual traffic on the port of the switch and in my firewall. So a NVR use 20Mbit/sec and my android setup use less than 1Mbit/sec when displaying 4 cameras in a quad view.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
May 03, 2017

Some NVRs will let you enter the RTSP stream URL when you select ONVIF as the device type. You could then input the second stream URL only. This also might fix the time issue, as the RTSP stream can't change the time on the IP cameras.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions