Contractor Trapped Inside ATM Machine - What's Your Most Embarrassing Situation?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2017
IPVM

Check it out: Man Trapped Inside Texas A.T.M. for 3 Hours Is Rescued by Police

Any on the job situations that you can recall worse or more embarrassing?

(1)
(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jul 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

video from news:

The room apparently had a door that did not allow free-egress, it locked from the inside:

Blaming the victim is always lousy, but I feel compelled to point out the hinges faced inside (as they should) and he could've just banged those pins out and removed the door if things got terrible and desolate.

(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jul 14, 2017

We had a tech, that lacked some basic people skills, get locked in a room by a customer because they did not trust him. He had call us for help, at the same time we were getting a call from the clustomer. It was a mess. 

In the end we all laughed (at him) about it. Still love to tell the storie. 

(1)
(2)
(3)
Brian Rhodes
Jul 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We had a tech that was an A-Hole get locked in a room by a customer 

Hey! I fixed it!  :)

In fairness, 'good bedside manner', especially for techs can be tough to develop.

(2)
(1)
Brian Karas
Jul 14, 2017
IPVM

he could've just banged those pins out and removed the door

He didn't even bring a phone with him, not sure he had anything to bang out hinge pins with. Not that I'm giving him a pass on this. I will bet that guy never goes anywhere now without his phone, toolbelt, flare gun, mace and some matches, just to be prepared.

(5)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Blaming the victim is always lousy, but I feel compelled to point out the hinges faced inside (as they should) and he could've just banged those pins out and removed the door if things got terrible and desolate.

Wondering if that's the door that was actually trapping him.  It would make the size of the ATM "vault" rather large, no? 

Also, the door looks pretty good for being "kicked down", though maybe that's no different than being "kicked in".

In any event  if it were you who hung that door, you probably would have put a stud in the hinge ;)

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

“Please help,” read a handwritten note on a thin strip of paper. “I’m stuck in here, and I don’t have my phone.”

Unfortunately for the man, several A.T.M. users who got a note thought they were being pranked and apparently did nothing.

This would be my *second* note:

(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 17, 2017

About 15 years ago, one of my wife's friends got stuck in an ATM vestibule with the ATM Tech.  She worked at the bank, and it was her job to let him in and sign off on everything.  They were stuck in there for three hours or so.  They have four kids today. 

TL;DR - Getting stuck in an ATM can be awesome.

(1)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Their last note before being rescued:

"Help! stuck in ATM, here is an xtra $20, if you wouldn't mind please  buy a six of Dos Equis and put in the night drop.  Thx!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions