Consumer Cameras In Commercial Systems?

Ethan Ace
Dec 05, 2016

On a trip recently I spotted a bunch of Arlo cameras on the sign for some cottage rentals, four in total that I saw, and one in the main office inside. I think there were 1-2 others at the far ends of the place, too. (#4 is on the back of the pole in the image below)

Aside from the aesthetics of the cluster above, it struck me as a fairly decent use of the Arlo, since it's wireless and they have them spread through the area, so this saves on cabling/trenching, and it's fairly inexpensive (a four camera kit is ~$480), though not as cheap as say, an EZVIZ kit (which would need to be wired).

But the bigger point is that this is an interesting example of consumer/DIY gear being used in commercial systems. I saw a store with multiple Nest Cams in use, as well, which strikes me as even less cost effective, but it's not the first time I've seen it.

What's everyone else's experience? How much of an increase in DIY/consumer product used in commercial establishments have you seen?

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 05, 2016

I saw a local car dealership that has zero cameras in the parking lot or showroom but has a single Nest camera to cover multiple service bays.

(4)
Ethan Ace
Dec 05, 2016

That's the best misuse of Nest Cams I've ever heard.

(3)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Cheap Car Lot!!

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2016
IPVM

I have seen at least 3 small businesses with Nest Cams / Dropcams, no more than 2 total cameras per business.

But that still dwarfs the number of Costco style systems I have seen, which feel like they are everywhere.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

How high are those cameras?

With 4 battery powered cameras you might be on a ladder every couple months, no?

If they're down low they might fall prey to the local burgArlo:

Ethan Ace
Dec 06, 2016

8', maybe, so you'd be on a small stepladder. The fourth one is at probably 6'.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

fall prey to the local burgArlo

pun score: 0/10

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Unfortunately its no joke, as a large number of Arlo Burglars were released into the wild with little more than a hug and their former client list...

Related: Burglars Are Standing By Waiting To Answer Your Questions...

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We are working with a client who is installing 10-30 Ubiquiti camera per apartment community. We are currently bidding for the labor install side, and slowly trying to get them out of the Ubiquiti cameras.

The quality is not that great, but since the IT department is running it, they love the Ubiquiti management features.

Brian Karas
Dec 06, 2016
IPVM

The quality is not that great, but since the IT department is running it, they love the Ubiquiti management features.

Maybe you can upsell them to the Cisco / Meraki camera.

(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Wasn't sure if you were serious until I read that article.....

I now assume that was a joke. At least the Ubiquiti stuff is mostly 1080P for 15% of the cost

Brian Karas
Dec 07, 2016
IPVM

Jay, the be perfectly honest, I would be very interested to know what their IT department thinks about the Meraki cost/value proposition. Especially as compared to the Ubiquiti cameras.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Dec 07, 2016

Would low-end HIKvision domes (DS-2CD2132) be considered "consumer"? Or Dahua minidomes? It's the same stuff that comes in a lot of big-box package systems.

We regularly use both for one client's systems (30-some sites across Canada). 3xLogic NVRs, Promise or Synology RAIDs, Axis cams for the low-light public areas... Dahua or HIK for well-lit back-of-house areas, where the WDR or low-light capability of the Axis isn't required.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions