Subscriber Discussion

Connectwise - Security Users Group

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 19, 2017

Part of the allure of Connectwise is the local, regional and yearly networking events to share ideas and best practices. So far when we attend these events we are typically the only "security integrator" in the group so while we learn from the MSPs they don't us Connectwise the way we do.   I was wondering how many security integrators are using Connectwise here and if people would like to set up a dedicated security group for us?  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 19, 2017

I was thinking of giving it a try but the onboarding process seems difficult so we have been holding off for something else to come up.

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 19, 2017

Yea Connectwise isn't for everyone and it really depends on what your plan is for your company.  If you want to stay small then other options will be a better choice but if you want to grow to $5M+ or $10M+ and beyond and add service/maintenance contracts Connectwise is a great option.    The rollout process is a marathon, not a sprint and takes a lot of effort but it is worth it in the long run.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We currently use

Quickbooks (desktop/on premise)
Insightly (CRM)
Alarmbiller (RMR and service dispatch)
Pandadoc (proposal tool)
PowerPoint/Concept Draw/JVSG for design/layout

Our struggles

Multiple inventory locations (office and vehicles)

No account management tool for existing clients (QuickBooks allows multiple contacts and notes but is very limited)

No accurate way to manage client inventory (we currently use a spreadsheet but that means we have to go to google drive, check their spreadsheet and determine if the product is under warranty). We also use the spreadsheet for configurations.

Poor service response - We did a service call.Long story short we decided to have an installer come back due to having run conduit, cable etc. When the installer came back, nobody knew what was going on.And of course, I was getting texts while at ISC. No notes from the previous call, etc. We are a small company so the office manager and service tech should have remembered but that's not scalable. 

We do not log simple items, like retrieve/change passwords, get client set up with remote access etc.

There is a disconnect of data between Quickbooks and service.

The client is being entered into at least 3 programs. Our CRM during the sales process, Quickbooks, and alarm biller once a client.

At the show, we looked at a few other options but Connectwise really seemed to be the most complete solution.

Anyone else using Connectwise? Michael, 4 months later, how is it working for you?

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 15, 2018

We are currently using the following:

Connectwise - CRM/Ticketing/Reporting/Inventory/Project Management/Billing/Procurement/Opportunity Management/Asset Management

Automate - RMM tool for remote monitoring/Patch management/Scripting 

Control - Remote support tool

ITGLUE - Documentation/Warranty/Password Management (Syncs with CW)

D-Tools - Quoting and design

Xero - Accounting

We have been using CW for over a year and a half now and it's a love-hate relationship. You have to keep in mind Connectwise is designed to adapt to how you run your business.  They are countless ways it can be configured as it is like an erectors set you to need to build it. When we started our Connectwise implementation I had 10 people on staff and now we have 20 and looking for more. Our processes completely changed so we were trying to build Connectwise while figuring out the new processes all while handing a huge workload. 

Connectwise is about automating your processes so if you don't have them figured out it's a moving target which can get frustrating.  My best advice is to figure out all your processes first then roll out Connectwise as it will make it much easier.  

All of the issues you posted Connectwise can handle with ease once you have it set up. Having everything in one place with the ability to link all information together is very powerful and truly can help you scale.  I didn't want to switch platforms again and I know Connectwise can handle a business with 10+ million in revenue with ease so this why we picked it. 

If you would like to chat shot me a message as I would be happy to give you more info.  

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The first 3 all come from CW so that is good. We are looking for a remote monitoring tool like Snap AV. I did see CW has a tool as well.

I completely agree that we need to build the process first. The software will only make it more efficient but will not fix procedural issues.

I will probably message you on Linkedin to schedule a call, and pick your brain. You did make the top 50 list so you must know a little something something :)

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 15, 2018

I looked at the Snap AV remote tool but looks like you have to use it with there products to get the most out of it.  You can't really compare it to Automate from Connecwise is it is much more powerful than the Snap AV unit. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I would be more than happy to chat about it. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The issue may be we have different clients/system installs. Almsot everything we have is Dahua NVR based and Ubiquiti radios if needed. No VPN's. So their little hub is nice, as it is about $300 ($100 if buying over $10K annual) and will get us connected.No recurring fees, no complex setup, and if I understand correctly, it will allow us to access the web page of a device.

I assume Automate requires some device on site?

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 15, 2018

Automate has an "agent" software you install onsite most of the time on your VMS server.  It can then monitor and control devices on your customer's network.  We mostly deploy Windows or Linx boxes onsite so Automate is a great fit for us. 

Also, don't forget Automate is fully integrated into CW so you can automate billing.  No manual copying info from one system to another. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions