Subscriber Discussion

What Causes Slight Corrosion On 8p8c Connectors?

GF
Gerald Fowler
Dec 08, 2016

I have an enclosure where all connections terminate but there was some corrosion on both male and female rj45 connections.There is no water signs in enclosure but i did clean up female connection and replace male.I also put dielectric grease in female to ward of future issues.I used a silicone base one called super lube.Has anyone had experience with stubborn moisture penetration and how one prevents these type of issues?I know if there's a way in water will find it .I use these waterproof connectors with seals on them and i use electrical tape on them as an extra measure.Maybe should be using this dielectric grease on seals of rj45 connectors as well.               

Brian Rhodes
Dec 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

By chance, are the connectors gold plated?

I read that as a cost cutting measure, some cable component manufacturers are loading up the 'gold plating' solutions with high levels of lead and cobalt instead of (more expensive) gold and nickel.

The connector metal is plated and still looks 'gold' to the naked eye when new, but over time the plating oxides due to galvanic corrosion and/or humid air.

Galvanic corrosion happens between two dissimilar metals, and can even occur in a vacuum (no air at all) but with lousy plating as the electrolyte, per my college metallurgy classes.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Galvanic corrosion happens between two dissimilar metals...

Interesting. So a low-quality plug and low-quality jack might actually corrode less than a low and high quality pair, as long they were the same alloy?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Corrosion can take place between the base pins metal and the (low quality) plating on a single component, not even necessarily between a jack and port.

GF
Gerald Fowler
Dec 08, 2016

The connections are both gold color or look like they are.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions