Subscriber Discussion

Comcast Xfinity Alarm System....Takeover Or Change Out All Equipment?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 16, 2016

One of my commercial accounts wants my company to takeover the Comcast Xfinity alarm system in their home so they can have the same type of system as used in their business, which is Honeywell. Comcast has used Honeywell systems in the past.  I've not yet seen the customer's home, but they've sent some photos and the equipment does not appear to be Honeywell, DSC or GE.  From the research I've done, Comcast might be using 2 GIG Go Control. I've used Resolution Products Translators for translating wireless sensors to a Honeywell receiver.  But, the best is to use all of the same brand rather than a translator, which will increase the cost of the system.  Just trying to see what kind of equipment I can reuse from Comcast.

Anyone else have experience with Comcast Xfinity account takeovers?  Are they using a 2 GIG Go Control?  Are their wireless sensors made by a major manufacturer such as Honeywell, DSC, GE, NAPCO or DMP?

UI
Nov 17, 2016

Apparently, Comcast Xfinity uses what appear to be Visonic wireless products. The wireless keypad SMCWK01-Z appears on Amazon, and is identical to the keypad listed on Visonic's website. So, I think I've identified the manufacturer of my customer's alarm system. The door/window sensor depicted in my customer's photo resembles the Visonic MCT-320.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 17, 2016

Visonic is a division of Tyco. I believe DSC (also Tyco) also utilizes the same sensor technology as visonic in their Neo line

UI
Nov 17, 2016

Yes. I used Visonic motion detectors for many years, but never their control panels or wireless products. Based on the specs on Visonic's Comcast products, such as the MCT-320 door/window sensor, it appears they're using the 315, 433.92, 868.95 or 869.2125 Mhz. These transmitters will not speak to the Honeywell 5800 wireless and I'm not sure Resolution Products (RP) translators will either. Waiting for RP let me know.

John Bazyk
Nov 18, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Best to replace that equipment with better security equipment. However if you want to do it on the cheap and if you're an alarm.com dealer and have access to 2GIG just replace the cell card. Use all existing control equipment and sensors.

(1)
UI
Nov 18, 2016

John, quite right to replace the entire system with better equipment. I'm an Alarmnet dealer, and haven't bothered to sign on with Alarm.com. I like to standardize on a product line (Honeywell) to keep things simple. Over the years I've used a few different manufacturers (Napco, ITI, Radionics, Moose, DSC, etc.) and learned that it's too difficult to be proficient and knowledgeable in operation and troubleshooting. Some of these other manufacturers were used by virtue of a take over situation.

Standardizing is important to me, especially when a customer calls and asks how to do something, I can deal with it without referring to the documentation. This is important when you're on the road and can't look at the user guide 'for them.'

So, I'm going to suggest a complete change out of the equipment rather than go against my standards.

Thanks for the reply.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions