Subscriber Discussion

Cloud Access Control AND Video

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 10, 2017

I am looking for a true access control AND video surveillance solution that is 100% hosted in the cloud.  

There are many cloud based camera/video solutions, tons now, all with various different approaches.  

There are cloud "managed" ACS but not 100% hosted, in general.  They (these solutions) appear to be nothing more that an onsite system that is accessed remotely, the DB still remains on site only.

But what are my options for an integrated truly hosted solution that exists and is working today?

For example I am familiar with Genetec's Stratocast solution.  This is now a fairly developed mature video solution, but no ACS component exists.  If you want an integrated system with Genetec, their option is to host their full blown application in the cloud and in general, for a hosted system, that is way more than what would be needed for a small system.

Why hasn't someone figured out how to take a device like the HID EVO and write a driver for that device to behave like an IP camera, in terms of using it as a hosted device - like an OpenEye camera or an Axis camera working with Stratocast?  Same question with the Axis A1001?  Why can't I buy today an A1001 and have it work with Stratocast - use the same browser interface and start adding credentials and schedules?

Perhaps my desire is stupid and there's no business case for such a development.  I don't think so but what does everyone think?  My point is just doing video is a waste of time for the integration community, Comcast and ADT and the IT folks can do this and they don't' need our help, there is no future for true systems integration companies.  But add ACS with door hardware and FA interfaces and the need for proper licensing....

Brian Rhodes
Aug 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello Und1:

Interesting question.  Many cloud systems use local video storage at the site to preserve bandwidth, which for a smaller typical 'cloud-centric' customer is often a good thing since those locations also tend to have smaller internet site connections that could be overwhelmed by a few cameras uploading video.

Is there a reason why having a NVR/DVR/access appliance onsite is a negative?

There are examples of 'cloud' video and access in one interface, but functionality may be limited in device support or which interface supports the other's features better:

• Brivo ACS - (Profile) and EagleEye NVR/VMS (Profile)
  • BluB0X - (Profile) with BluSTONE/BluMILE video (Milestone Cloud based) (Link)
  • Kantech Hattrix (Link) and ExacqCloud VMS (Profile)

Like you mention, there are multiple IP based 'local' integrated systems that can be accessed remotely, but if anyone has any 'true cloud' examples, please add them below.

Thanks!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions