Subscriber Discussion

Client Asking For RFID Visitor Tracking Throughout Global HQ?

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 21, 2015

Good morning,

I had a pretty specific request from one of my clients to help design a relatively clandestine visitor management system that tracks visitors through passive RFID tags that can be affixed to paper badges distributed by security. The style of RFID credentials would be similar to the loss prevention "stickers" that you may see on high priced electronics in a retail environment.

The plan would be to create zones within their HQ facilities and allow for alerts if the visitor deviates from the zones that are pre-cleared to access.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar deployment, or recommend a manufacturer for me to take a closer look at?

Thanks in advance!

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 21, 2015

"a relatively clandestine visitor management system that tracks visitors through passive RFID tags that can be affixed to paper badges distributed by security."

Why clandestine?

1. If the goal is to keep visitors from entering any 'off-limits' areas, why not tell them that their badges will track them? Even if the tags on the ID's were fake, it may deter the visitors from attempting to 'wander'.

2. Have you investigated the legality of clandestinely tracking visitors movements?

Disney does this with wristbands - but it is not clandestine.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 21, 2015

Thanks for your response, Undisclosed 2. Perhaps "clandestine" might be a bit of an overstatement. I'll revise to "non-overt" for the sake of this discussion. The driver is that this client has experienced wandering from some visitors in the past, and it is not the intention to proactively mitigate this behavior - more to be aware of it so they can investigate further.

The credentials desired would be consumable so there isn't a paramount client concern about getting them back.

Legality isn't an issue at this site.

Thanks!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Dec 22, 2015
Have you looked at Simply RFID? They had a system called Nox that would do this well, and although I haven't worked with them in awhile, I think they are still making the product. Hopefully that helps!
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Dec 22, 2015
Have you looked at Simply RFID? They had a system called Nox that would do this well, and although I haven't worked with them in awhile, I think they are still making the product. Hopefully that helps!
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2015

Thanks Undisclosed 3. That seems like an interesting solution. I'll get into with them. I really appreciate the nod.

Happy Holidays!

Robert Tabbara
Dec 24, 2015

RFID systems tend to be expansive. It sounds similar to what they do now in baby tracking inside hospitals. Look for companies that are doing this with IBeacons (Bluetooth)

(2)
PC
Patrick Clarke
Dec 29, 2015

Not specifically made to track visitors, but may be used for your application:

http://offsitevision.com/

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions