City Surveillance Camera Boxes - Who Makes Them?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 18, 2013
IPVM

You have probably seen them around or at least in the news - big boxes housing power supplies, networking equipment, etc., like so:

I know that box is from TotalRecall, but they evidently sell an end to end offering, not simply the housing / enclosure.

I presume many integrators just fabricate them individually but am wondering if there is anything more COTS available?

A member is looking to have a portable kit with cellular, etc. that they can move around as needed.

Richard Brady
Aug 18, 2013

Steven Engineering out of South San Francisco will customize an enclosure to your specs. Knowledgeable reps. Real nice to deal with. All Nema standards. Reasonably priced. Inventory onsite. I don't need to use anyone else!!

JG
John Grocke
Aug 20, 2013

Richard - Can you offer any additional detail on this such as enclosure type, fabrication required and cost?

Brian Karas
Aug 18, 2013
Pelican Zero

All the ones I've ever seen are "integrated" solutions put together by either an integration company operating locally, or a "VAR" sort of arrangement, supplying units to other dealers.

Generally you see an L-Com enclosure, Dotworkz housing, or MOOG housing as the "base" and then various other components bolted in/on to that.

BTW, I've got an eval unit of a new device Novatel is going to be releasing soon, basically it's an industrialized MiFi, with an Ethernet port. Compact and ruggedized, and because it's based off the MiFi, even has a battery backup. From what I'm told the price point will make it competitive with similar devices from Cradlepoint or Sierra Wireless. It's targeted at these kinds of M2M deployments, obviously.

JG
John Grocke
Aug 18, 2013

Videolarm makes a "Deputy2" enclosure that looks very similar to this.

Good eye, Grocke! Here's an image of the Deputy2:

And here are some optional configurations shown in the datasheet:

Online pricing ranges from $2,500 - $3,000 USD.

Grocke, since you called it :), do a post on it to examine is positioning, strengths and weaknesses.

SP
Sean Patton
Aug 18, 2013

The ones used in Chicago and Pittsburgh (among other places) are from Avrio/RMS and are known as PODSS. They were developed by RMS out of the Chicago area.

JG
John Grocke
Aug 19, 2013

I did a similar Avrio/RMS PODSS project in Florida with a few years ago, but we did not use the big bulky boxes like these.

Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 19, 2013
Pro Focus LLC

We have used various models from L-Com as well. The fiberglass re-enforced models are pretty nice. We have also used the cheapo ABS plastic ones for indoor applications where you just want some basic hiding of equipment.

The fiberglass boxes we used were in the $100-$150 range IIRC and the ABS plastic are under $50 with shippping. All are standard sized and in stock. Never asked for a custom box or had the need.

HC
Hernan Carzalo
Aug 20, 2013
IPVMU Certified

what are the standard components that you need to put inside ?

ups, switch, electrical protection, coolers. some network device...

john g, why you think is bulky?

JG
John Grocke
Aug 20, 2013

Herman - I am working on an article for these enclosures and options. They were a bit bulky for that particular installation as it only had one PTZ per location and we did not have much equipment to put in the cabinet.

JG
John Grocke
Aug 21, 2013

This topic has developed into an article: http://ipvm.com/updates/2187

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions