Subscriber Discussion

Albuquerque NM Program To Directly Monitor Business' Video Surveillance Systems

PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

Albuquerque Police Department is offering this to the citizens:

The initiative, called SCAN (Security Camera Analytical Network), encourages businesses and residents with a security camera system to register with the Real Time Crime Center.

Businesses that sign up give the RTCC full access to their security camera system.

Several businesses across the metro already do this like Blake’s Lotaburger and 7-Eleven Convenience Stores.

If the business calls 911, the RTCC can tap into a live feed and help arriving officers with suspect information.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

Paul, thanks. I changed the title to make it clearer and added an excerpt from the article to explain the basics of the program.

Here is the sign-up link for the program. The questions they ask are somewhat vague and not useful for actually integrating with video systems, e.g., the excerpt below:

I am curious how they are going to do the integration. With so many different systems being used, managing such a program technically will be hard / cumbersome.

(1)
PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

I believe they are still using OpenEye in their RTCC. They will probably require the businesses to have an OpenEye system or connect to the OpenEye VSaaS service.

I assume that's what they mean when it comes to "compatible" 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 04, 2017

You have MN instead of NM for the state.  

We have a few schools in our area that have given the police departments access to the cameras.  Not sure who exactly has access to it (I doubt every beat cop).  I hope they never have to use it but will be a great tool in the event that it is needed.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

Thanks, fixed. Good comment!

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 04, 2017

think psim

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

think psim

#2, do you have knowledge that they are using a PSIM?

I do agree that theoretically a PSIM could address the many business integration problem but practically I would be surprised if they were willing to spend on a PSIM and whether that PSIM could integrate with all the varied systems that are likely used across a city.

(1)
PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

Can these low cost CCTV systems from Costco and Best Buy integrate with a PSIM? 

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

Paul, theoretically most could though some may not have any published APIs.

In practice, though, PSIMs tend to integrate with product lines that are more commonly found in higher-end systems since PSIM buyers tend to be in that space.

In other municipal systems like this that I have seen in the past, the integration was done through requiring standardization of systems (e.g., Project Greenlight in Detroit requiring Genetec Stratocast) or there was no real integration done, rather just having the Police preload the clients of different systems.

(1)
(1)
PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

I know in Atlanta they are using CNL as their PSIM to integrate with different systems, but I'm not sure on the details.

The problem with running the different clients is there will be a point that the DLLs conflict and eventually none of the systems work. For security these departments are are not allowing plug-ins anymore either 

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

I think running different clients is a terrible solution that scales poorly and risks many operational problems.

On the other hand, PSIM systems are typically expensive, including per device / channel license fees, which likely are not economical for connecting to random neighborhood bars.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 04, 2017

"The problem with running the different clients is there will be a point that the DLLs conflict and eventually none of the systems work."

Can you expand on this comment?  Have you seen this occur?

Secondly, do video monitoring central stations have to have all of their customers on one platform (like Detroit's Green Light program)?

I get the PSIM comments, but it seems like getting video to first responders would be a really good thing without having to incur the great costs of PSIM integrations for every platform in the field that wants to use a service like this.

PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

As far as tbe DLL conflicts, I've seen this at a few large agencies. One department had access to 200 businesses, but had to shut to project down because it crashed the computers that were running the plug-ins

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

One department had access to 200 businesses

Paul, so they had all sorts of different video clients on their computers?

PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

John,

That's correct. They had one computer that would be VPNed into. That one computer had many different plug-ins as most of the systems out there were the cheaper Lorex, Swann types. Other than the points you mentioned as the problems with what Albuquerque is trying to do, the biggest problem that all these agencies have the management of plug-ins. 

Police Departments ultimately go to the model you mentioned, such as Detroit. Use one vendor across the board. I've seen agencies do this model but give that up because of pushback from businesses about the costs, coordination of installations and managing of even more hardware.

Installing devices causes more headaches than the Police Departments are will to deal with. 

I just saw a Night Owl 4 channel for $250. It's hard to convince a small business to pay a lot of money for to make a system compatible with the PDs VMS. Detroit has been telling the businesses that they will monitor their store front 24x7 from their RTCC, even though their MOU states different.

I haven't seen other agencies  do this because it's potentially  major liability for them. 

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2017
IPVM

They had one computer that would be VPNed into. That one computer had many different plug-ins as most of the systems out there were the cheaper Lorex, Swann types

Wow, yes, that's a recipe for disaster.

I've seen agencies do this model but give that up because of pushback from businesses about the costs, coordination of installations and managing of even more hardware.

I agree with this. It's a big challenge to get everyone on a single system.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 04, 2017

agree that most mom and pop joints won't upgrade their Costco systems to be able to integrate with the PD monitoring center.....  but what about the high-dollar joints like jewelry stores, banks, etc?

also - if you are going to market to these high-dollar joints, I don't think that having to call 911 is the best way to alert the monitoring center - they should be able to push the panic button they already have in place to fire up the video as an alert on the monitoring station screens.

PS
Paul Shah
Aug 04, 2017

Banks are notoriously difficult to work with because they don't want anyone connecting to their network from the outside, especially after the Target hack.  Generally the more sophisticated, high dollar places that are using Milestone and the big VMSes are not willing to let anyone connect to their network from  outside.

Detroit just asks them to install a separate cameras system that connects to the Genetec Cloud (private labeled by Comcast) , with a dedicated Comcast high speed internet line. This lets them get around any PCI issues and not letting anyone connect from the outside.

The charge is $6k but it includes lighting. The lease program they have now is $1000 down and $140 a month. Hard to swallow when the consumer see Arlo, Ring and Lorex for a so cheap.

Ive seen a cloud based VMS Solution that does officer your panic button idea, but then again, its not ubiquitous and its back to only one vendor.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Atlanta's Operation shield uses ONSSI and integrates with the major VMS manufacturers.

It is completely voluntary and it costs about $250 per camera to cover integration costs.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 05, 2017
IPVM
PS
Paul Shah
Aug 05, 2017

Good find.

I hear it takes many months to get a system connected

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 06, 2017

Paul, that is very true.  For some reason it is hard to get the RTCC folks to respond to emails or phone calls.  Not sure what the problem is... maybe they need more personnel. 

PS
Paul Shah
Aug 08, 2017

To clarify, it takes the integrator many months to connect a system. Not the RTCC

UI
Aug 08, 2017

No, sorry Paul but you're wrong there.  It takes the RTCC many months to connect the system because they don't respond. The only time it takes the installer is the time it takes to install the system and get the paperwork signed and sent over to the RTCC.  It's up to the  RTCC to then "commission" the install and enter the information. 

UI
Aug 06, 2017

This program started around 2012 I believe and is using the OpenEye software.  The businesses that partner with the RTCC allow access only during an emergency.  Meaning that when the police department receives a 911 call from the participating business, the RTCC will be able to access live video immediately in order to assist the responding LE.  The only requirement is that the business uses the OpenEye software to allow RTCC to access video.  They have a very interesting setup.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Aug 07, 2017

Full disclosure - I work for OpenEye.

The city of Albuquerque wanted to grow their video footprint for years but has lacked the budget required for significant expansion (I believe they still own less than 100 cameras).  They looked into PSIM solutions but didn’t have adequate funding for deployment.  An entrepreneurial police officer realized that a handful of the largest multi-site (chain) businesses with interior/exterior cameras in the city were standardized on OpenEye.  He conceptualized that he could exponentially expand their video footprint with these businesses on board.  The city developed an agreement in which businesses using OpenEye video systems could grant access to the Real Time Crime Center during an emergency event.  To help make the program a success, OpenEye developed an integration between the RTCC’s GIS mapping software (ARC GIS) and OpenEye’s video client.  This integration enabled the RTCC to enter an address during a 911 call to view cameras within the proximity that are owned by participating businesses.

While the program is challenged in that the onsite recorder must be OpenEye, the city was able to exponentially expand its video coverage on what most urban municipalities consider a shoestring budget.  The last I heard the city was still enrolling new businesses and continues to consider the program a success.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions