Subscriber Discussion

Cisco VMS - Anyone With Experience With A 3,500+ Camera Or Larger Install?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 08, 2016

Looking for anyone that has experience deploying or supporting Cisco VMS at a 3500 plus camera level.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Or equivalent qualifications?

:)

(2)
(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 08, 2016

Seeking feedback on performance and capability. What I have read on other discussions indicates Cisco's VMS is average at best on. Trying to get past the color glossy sales literature and get to the real world issue they may have.

Thanks

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I wasn't able to find a 3500+ camera install, even in their glossy literature, so it might be a tall order. While I was looking, I had this rather obtuse, (even for cisco), chat.

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Uh, except that I'm just realizing that the Cisco chat guy didn't have a clue that I was asking about Cisco's VMS (Video Management System).

Instead, he sent links about Cisco's VMS (Virtual Managed Services) offering.

Apparently, Cisco feels 3500+ cameras can hook up to some sort of business bloatware and exchange messages and transactions.

Maybe not want anybody wants, but it does set them apart from the rest.

#ciscoblows3500cameralead

(1)
(2)
Joe Mirolli
Sep 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

That chat function is as useless and annoying as a mosquito.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 09, 2016

This is only anecdotal, but having spoken with a few existing / past customers using the Cisco VMS its fair to say that none of them are happy (typical size network ~ 1,000 cameras). In every case they were caught out by their IT department just choosing Cisco since they know the strength of Cisco products for their mainstream IT solutions. Main issues they mentioned were third party integrations, camera support, really poor UI, and poor technical support. In one case they eventually flipped to Milestone and were astonished at the capability and useability leap.

Cisco seem to rely entirely on their brand and invest very little in the product, so be cautious.

(3)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Sep 12, 2016

Hello I have experience deploying Cisco in large environments. Counties, Universities. It was hard to work with in the beginning. Cameras where not the best. Software is great now. Use tablets to mange the system. Both card access and video. Integrated to Call Manager to push video to phones. Media net templates work good along with Energy Wise control of ports on switches. Like I said though it was f!@@#ing rough in the beginning.

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 12, 2016
IPVM

4, thanks! Are you using Cisco's access control? Any third party cameras or access control or other systems integrated?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Sep 13, 2016

John, yes integrated VSOM into CPAM. Using active maps and touch screen. Cameras are Cisco, Axis, Vivotek. Also using Cisco Call manager to control certain doors with a SIP Phone. SIP video intercom N2 stations. Send the video top VMS and the call to the Phone system. Also control doors with # key & number code. Also have deployed in corrections environments integrating Allen Bradley PLC's to do door locking controls with Fire release. Plus Smart Security Optical Turnstiles.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions