Subscriber Discussion

Chrome 64-Bit Browser - Better HD Video?

JB
Jeremiah Boughton
Aug 28, 2014

You should test the new 64-Bit Chrome browser with a couple IP cameras to see if there is any difference between Internet Explorer and Google Chromes 32-Bit browser. Supposedly the 64-Bit Chrome kicks IE's butt and is better than Chromes 32-Bit.

"64-bit Chrome displays high-definition (HD) video better"

JB
Jeremiah Boughton
Aug 28, 2014

On kind of a side note - Do you think Google VP9 codec has a place in our Industry in the near future? I'm guessing for the Chrome 64 Bit to get better HD ...using the VP9 codec is a must. Or will H.265 win out?

Wikipedia

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Aug 28, 2014
JH
John Honovich
Aug 29, 2014
IPVM

Thanks for sharing.

The biggest problem I've had historically with Chrome is video, specifically flash consuming a ton of CPU and crashing. I wonder if it will fix that. I just downloaded it but obviously not enough time to tell.

As for VB8/VB9, there seems to be little interest amongst surveillance manufacturers. I believe it's because:

• All the cameras are H.264 already and all the VMSes support it, so it's the easiest path; by contrast VB8/VB9 would need to be added in.
  • The royalty fee issue is more of a concern on the web than it is when one is selling hardware devices.

I recall Network Optix supporting VB8/VB9, but they are in a distinct minority.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 30, 2014
IPVM

Update - in 2 days since upgrading, shockwave / flash has not crashed, nor has my Air started to overheat, which were two common concerns driven by Chrome playing video previously.

Hopefully, I am not speaking too soon.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions