Subscriber Discussion

Chemical-Resistant Camera Choices?

MB
Matt Bode
Apr 02, 2015

We have an interesting situation where we need to deploy cameras in a harsh food processing environment where chlorine is often sprayed around (and sometimes at) the prospective camera location.

We'd like your opinion about the least expensive solution to this challenging placement.

We have found three acceptable (we think) choices, from least to most expensive:

1) Axis Q1765-LE bullet & T98A17-VE back box -- Meets NEMA type 4X and IP66 standards); MSRP $1,668.

2) Any box camera inside a Moog SSH10C2Y Fusion Stainless Steel Tubular Housing -- Meets NEMA type 6P and IP67 standards; MSRP $1,661 (not including the camera cost).

3) Any box camera inside a Moog SSDP75CN Fusion Stainless Steel Dome -- Meets NEMA type 4X/6 and IP67 standards (pressurization is an option); MSRP $1,894 (not including the camera cost).

Side question: Do you think pressurization is worth the added hassle?

Thanks!

Definitions:

IP66:

Protected from high pressure water jets from any direction.

IP67:

Protected from immersion between 15 centimeters and 1 meter in depth.

NEMA 4X:

Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (windblown dust); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow, splashing water, and hose directed water); that provides an additional level of protection against corrosion; and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.

NEMA 6P (differences from NEMA 4X are underlined):

Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (falling dirt); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (hose directed water and the entry of water during prolonged submersion at a limited depth); that provides an additional level of protection against corrosion and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 02, 2015

I think you would be better off using a standard exterior box housing with a glass window as glass is usually pretty chemical resistant. I since it is indoors i doubt you need anything fance, find a low cost IP66 with a glass front. Is this in any direct line with food, as those regulations are pretty strict because they have to be able to be cleaned. I would consult the companies compliance people, they usually can steer you in the right direction. I had the same situation and they said get it high up in the ceilings and out of the clean zone and we were fine.

Presurization is overkill, unless the customers compliance folks say you need it, your better off with out it.

What kind of food processing are they doing? is there explosion risks or anything associated with it?

Christopher Freeman
Apr 03, 2015

Only Cameras with housing using Stainless # 3 or better .

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Bob, what is the temperature of the water streams? From my experience in meat processing rooms (albeit a few years back), they often use bleach (chlorine) and hot water (50 C), to very hot (100 C) water/steam jets.

Would high-pressure, high-temperature streams be covered by IP66? I don't see steam mentioned until IP69.

IP69:

Protected against highly pressurised water and steam jet cleaning. Highly pressurised water which is directed at the enclosure from any direction must not have any damaging effect.

Jason Neubauer
Nov 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Does anyone have any new cameras to add to this list?  I used the search function for washdown rated or food process and didn't find anything.

I found a HikVision model that is stainless/anti-corrosive but the back was not sealed nor its wall mount. That will not work.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 19, 2018

Hanwha has a few stainless steel cameras.  2Mp dome, 2mp high zoom doom, 5Mp dome, PTZ.  Selection of stainless accessories to go with it.

https://www.hanwhasecurity.com/xnv-6080rs.html

We also have a different style camera (designed for transit), but it is IP67, IP6K9K, IK10, NEMA4X rated for washdown.

https://www.hanwhasecurity.com/xnv-6013m.html

(1)
Jumbi Edulbehram
Nov 19, 2018

Hi Matt, (I work for Oncam)...please take a look at the Oncam 5/12MP 360-degree stainless cameras which are IP69/IK10 and also have NSF (US) and HCV (EU) certifications for specific use in food processing plants:

https://www.oncamgrandeye.com/security-systems/evolution-stainless-steel/

These cameras have been successfully deployed in meat processing plants where they're pressure washed with chemical agents.

Hope that helps.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions