Subscriber Discussion

Changing A 32ch HIK NVR To 64 For Just 5 More Cameras?

JP
Josh Penn
Jun 29, 2017
Automated Controls

Guys need some advice I have a customer we have installed a 32 camera system and wants to add 5 more cameras, I feel reluctant to switch out the NVR when I have an opportunity to try out the Milestone VMS, the 64 ch will run me about 2500, I have another home for the 32 channel so I'm good on that end. They will most likely never add any more than these 5 new cameras. Any input would be great before I go ahead and order the 64 ch NVR.

Brian Karas
Jun 29, 2017
IPVM

I don't get how the Milestone VMS portion comes into play here. Can you elaborate?

JP
Josh Penn
Jun 30, 2017
Automated Controls

I have been waiting for an opportunity to try the milestone vms and since we have to spend the money on a 64 ch nvr vs 35 camera licenses and a pc is what I'm trying to decide just trying to see if the cost is difference to make it worth while.

Mike Dotson
Jul 03, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Bumping to the Milestone VMS needs to be sized correctly.   What sort of resolution+FPS are needed for recording?

Also, don't forget how the users will VIEW the camera streams.   The Client hardware plays a big part in Milestone due to the use of the Intel QSYNC.

The Server will benefit from the QSYNC as well if server side motion detection is needed..... as long as you are using the new '+' versions.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Why not just add a 16 channel NVR?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 30, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Why not just add an 16 8 channel NVR?

FIXED!

(3)
JP
Josh Penn
Jun 30, 2017
Automated Controls

We have the office staff use system through their network wouldn't make sense to have them login to two different nvr's

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 30, 2017

Hikvision doesn't allow you to log into two different NVRs simultaneously?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 30, 2017

Try setting them up with the iVMS-4200/5200 Software. That way they have 1 interface and you can use X number of NVR/DVRs.

(3)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 03, 2017

Hi

As for the Hikvision , if you are using the iVMS4200 you can create a view with any number of NVR you want.

Lost somehow on where the Milestone option fits within your question but if you remain within Hikvision, the iVMS4200 client seems to be less resources intensive than the Milestone SmartCLient IMO, the Hik is nowhere as flexible and features set is significantly less.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions