Each week at IPVM we will be featuring a short challenge for members! The challenge will be based on a topic that is outside of the skill level of regular manufacturer Tier 2 technical support. Can you solve the challenge??
This week's challenge is : Set up an Axis PTZ camera to do the following :
1. Reposition the camera using a PTZ preset.
2. Wait one minute, then take a snapshot and upload it to an FTP site.
3. Wait one minute, reposition the camera to a different PTZ preset
4. Wait one minute, take another snapshot and upload it to the same FTP site (different folder)
1. Event must run each day of the week except Sundays. (ie - taking two snapshots per day)
2. Snapshots must always be in the exact same position so that a time-lapse video could be created.
*** This sounds simple enough, yes? Axis Tier 2 technical support has been unable to produce this working or troubleshoot a non-working setup for over 3 months now, despite repeated calls to various levels of support including corporate trainers during Axis Certified Professional training. The real sticking point is #2 - Snapshots in the same position.
*** Keep track of the time you spend on this from starting to the point where you truly have it working.
*** Bonus points - explain when and why you would use "Recurrence" vs "Schedule" and why one should matter over the other.
*** Double bonus points - Explain how "while rule is active", "pre" and "post" apply to taking a snapshot, and what the "X times per X" setting makes any sense for taking a snapshot, and what you think "Send only X images" means and why it doesn't really work.
*** Triple bonus points - Write an explanation of why you think Axis has decided to make something that should be so, so simple to be so convoluted and confusing to the extreme that even their own technical support can't explain it or even figure it out for that matter.
*** This is not an actual IPVM feature, but actually a frustrated last-ditch effort to get something working after Axis technical support has failed again and again and again and again. :)
**** If you suggest that a firmware update might fix this problem, congratulations, Axis would like to hire you for Tier 3 tech support!