Subscriber Discussion

Cell Signal Strength/Quality For Alarm Panels

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 01, 2015

What is an acceptable RSSI for a cellular alarm panel/cell communicator? I need to know when an external antenna (or amplifier) would be required.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Usually the panel or module will include a feature that gives you feedback on cell strength, ie: bars on the LCD or LED lights. There is not a good method of checking by sight or during pre-install surveys that I am aware of.

The signal strength depends on the type of network used by the panel. I know the basic impulse is to use a cellphone to see if the signal is strong in an area, but this method can be pretty inaccurate.

(1)
Mark Jones
Dec 01, 2015

There are also some apps, some pretty good ones frankly that will do that. I am sure the manufacturer can give you the DB strength needed.

(1)
Daniel S-T
Dec 02, 2015

My experience with Honeywell and DSC indicated anything lower than -90dbi is considered bad, and warranting re-location or an antenna.

The honeywell GSM's require you to either have the GSM programmer, or log into the GSM programming through the system programming (*29 menu) and the DSC GSM's just give you two LED's (GS3060/3070 models) not sure if they've improved with newer models..

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 02, 2015

There is a RSSI mode for the unit and I have a couple of android apps that show signal strength, but I get conflicting results when switching modes, i.e. LTE, GSM, CDMA. So if I get a -80db average, I should be OK. Thanks for everyone's input.

DW
Dennis Widdows
Dec 02, 2015

Yes

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions