Subscriber Discussion

CCTV Via Yagi / SCADA

JS
John Saunders
Oct 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm wondering if anyone has some new suggestions for CCTV at more remote sites that only have a low bandwidth Yagi antenna (used for SCADA comms). Typically only one or two cameras at these sites, but streaming not a good option given the bandwidth limitations. I'm kind of at 

1. store on site, send video to archiver / server at 3 am when no other traffic (slowly), while ...

2. sending video alarms with a data only stream (no video) as they happen, monitoring can then go out and pull video

3. send a jpg via the antenna as alarm happens, store the rest of the video locally.

4. Build a more robust network. Not always feasible $$$$.

More than happy to entertain other thoughts, as well as opinions about the best VMS to meet these needs. Usual suspects? Is there someone out there with a  unique approach I am unaware of? Thanks.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 04, 2016

What kind of bandwidth limitations are we talking?

JS
John Saunders
Oct 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Worst case is 9600 baud. Best might be 5-7 Mbps

(1)
UI
Oct 05, 2016

Worst case is an understatement on that one. Best case isn't that bad depending upon other traffic.

Avigilon has the H4 ES series which will allow for local recording and logging into the camera directly. Basically, it's their VMS, camera, and a SSD all in one. Just send an alert to an email server. Text only might be best with the 9600 baud connection. Still frames may be better under other options. No need to archive video as it is stored at the camera, but you could do archives on a predefined timeframe if offsite storage is critical. Maybe the analytics built in could be of use to limit the alerts.

Other manufacturers make use of SD cards as well, which may be an option. Other analytics options are available for those. Axis for certain has an FTP option and I'm certain it can be scheduled.

Honestly, at 9600 baud... not certain you will ever be able to do much. That equates to a minute or two just to send one decent image and I would be surprised if everything does not time out in the interim. You may really want to evaluate your option #4.

JS
John Saunders
Oct 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

totally agree regarding option 4. That is my goal, but we'll see. Only question arising from your response for me - I have heard that Avigilon doesn't play nice with others (I haven't used them in the past) - if I end up with Milestone or Exacq as the VMS am I locking into future issues with Avigilon? Or is it more that Avigilon VMS doesn't like other cameras? Or neither, of course ....

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'd say regardless of what you do, you need a smart codec like zipstream from axis or h.264+ from others. they can cut your bitrate by 75% in static scenes. I don't believe Avigilon has one yet.

UI
Oct 05, 2016

You are correct - Avigilon does not have a smart codec which is critical from the camera to the VMS. With the H4 ES with internal VMS/SSD you would be making use of HDSM from the camera. I have not done a shootout, but I would hazard a guess that it is equivalent.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions