CCTV Manufacturer 'Factory Outlet' Store

JH
John Honovich
Dec 07, 2014
IPVM

You have it for Nike, Polo, Chanel, etc.

Now, you have a 'factory outlet' store for a CCTV manufacturer.

What do you think? Their prices are way less than what can be found for third party online retailers.

I mean, it's Speco, so there's that issue. But good or bad concept?

U
Undisclosed
Dec 07, 2014

You are of course the expert in these matters but I didn't think the prices looked interesting enough to be found in the "factory outlet" section. Indoor IP box camera 84 dollars?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 07, 2014
IPVM

You want it for even less? :)

RP
Roger Paine
Dec 07, 2014

One wonders if the authorized channel price for these products is even lower, otherwise one would expect the usual grumblings from those further down the line.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 07, 2014
IPVM

Presumably the counter will be that this is only for 'closeouts' and 'refurbs', though i could not tell which was which on that site.

RP
Roger Paine
Dec 08, 2014

I'm not sure of Speco's commitment to intermediation, but wouldn't a staunch defender of the channel forego the equivication altogether? Considering ultra-low web prices, refurb or not, can cost integrators at least some revenue, as well as undermining the brand perception to a degree.

An Avigilon Factory Direct Store, for instance would likely cause a minor revolt, no?

BW
Ben Wilks
Dec 08, 2014

Those prices are decent. I'd have to buy a couple cameras and put them through some testing and see how they look in various lighting situations. I would probably buy from them, but not exclusively.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 08, 2014
IPVM

Ben, as a point of reference, Speco's 'factory outlet' pricing for refurb / closeout is about the same as Hikvision / Dahua / ACTi / Vivotek for brand new, first run products.

BW
Ben Wilks
Dec 08, 2014

Thanks John. I recently had reason to buy some cameras direct from China, and I was surprised at the quality and also the ease of browsing into them and changing their IP. The prices were lower than the Speco store, and they look good.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 08, 2014
IPVM

"I recently had reason to buy some cameras direct from China"

You and Speco may have something in common ;)

(1)
BW
Ben Wilks
Dec 08, 2014

I take it you're not a proponent of such activities?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 08, 2014
IPVM

No, not against it.

It's just become a lot easier for integrators / users to source directly in China today whereas in the past it was limited to larger companies that went to China, established partnerships, etc.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 08, 2014
IPVMU Certified

This 'source' might be a honeyhole for small installers or DIYers, but 'no grey market' products or strict prohibition on proposing factory seconds/ refurb product is pretty standard policy for many purchasing departments.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 08, 2014
IPVM

That's a good point. I am curious how Speco is going to label these products.

Also, I would think this restrictions would not apply to 'closeouts', as those, by definition, would not be refurbed.

RP
Roger Paine
Dec 08, 2014

What is the precise definition of refurb? Is it any product returned and replaced under warranty, that then gets fixed? Is it a legal requirement to list as such?

BG
Bob Germain
Dec 08, 2014

Yes, If something is sold as a refurb or B-Stock, it must be marked as such. Returned product needs to be brought back to the factory shipping condition (accessories, manuals, etc). I believe it is up to the manufacturer to determine applicable warranty offered.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions