Subscriber Discussion

CCTV Design Tools: JVSG Vs IPVM Calculator

JS
John Saunders
Sep 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I've looked at IP Video System Design Tool 8 as well as JVSG, both seem to have most of what one would expect. I'm wondering if someone who has experience with either or both of these could suggest why they might be a better choice than the camera calculator tool built into this IPVM site. Thanks.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 26, 2016
IPVM

The clearest pro for JVSG, in terms of big functionalities, is 3D modeling.

We have no plan to do 3D modeling, given the complexity to add it and our focus on moving to a mobile app (which is now 60% done and will be released in the next few months).

John, is there anything missing from the IPVM calculator or concerns you have about it? Happy to address that here.

Otherwise, I'll let members comment on their experience of JVSG vs IPVM.

Kevin Bennett
Sep 26, 2016

John,

I use the JVSG product and agree with John Honovich that one of the biggest pros for that tool is modeling. The simulated 3D views, especially if you take time to upload floor plans, build out the model, and plug in the camera specs, is extremely helpful in showing the end user what to expect and how different lenses, resolution, and mounting choices affect the image (field of view, pixels per foot, mounting heights, etc.).

I have only had to use the JVSG support once, but they were pretty quick to respond.

One thing to note from my experience, though - if you start doing the 3D modeling and/or adding a lot of cameras to the project you will need to have a computer with a decent graphics card.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Sep 26, 2016

I'm a past user of JVSG, and the things they do that we don't, off the top of my head:

• 3D modeling, as stated above
  • Slanted surfaces, so you can model slopes/hills/etc.
  • Cut off of camera visualization zones by walls, so you can draw walls on a floorplan and the camera's view "cone" will not continue through them

From my own personal use, and the company I was with at the time, these things were of variable value:

• 3D modeling was often times much more time consuming than it was worth. Taking a photo of the intended FOV and showing an overhead representation of it were typically all that was needed, and took less time. End users tended to prefer that representation of their actual site over the modeled version.
  • Slanted surfaces is nice to have, but wasn't a showstopper issue. You could typically get around it with camera height without having to worry about slope.
  • The cut off view is nice to have, for sure. It's something we have talked about adding to the IPVM calculator. It helps keeps plans looking a bit less cluttered/more clear on which camera's viewing "zone" is where. But drawing walls is time consuming, as well, and we only did it for projects that absolutely required it.
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 07, 2016

Just for what it's worth, I would rarely if ever do 3D modeling for an entire project -- maybe a specific camera or view here or there, but the ROI is definitely not there on something like that most of the time.

With that said, the "wall" feature is something i would use constantly. Easily my biggest frustration with doing layouts is the constant overlaps you have with views, how they extend out, etc. Especially if you have views with lots of cameras, etc, I would be all over that.

If I need to go post this in a thread about features for the IPVM calculator, happy to do it -- you just reminded me that it was one of my biggest frustrations, and something I'd love to see. Hell, I might pay additional just for that (not to give you guys any ideas or anything).

JH
John Honovich
Nov 07, 2016
IPVM

#2, lol, good feedback. We definitely plan to do walls / customized FoVs.

We've been quiet with new calculator releases because we have been re-developing the calculator from the ground up. We plan to release the new version before the end of this year and we'll include the customized FoV/wall feature - no extra charge :)

Thanks for brining this up. I agree it is valuable.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 19, 2017

necro-bump.

How's the new version of the calculator coming along? :)

JH
John Honovich
Mar 21, 2017
IPVM

How's the new version of the calculator coming along? :)

#2, thanks for asking!

The rebuild is almost done. We are now effectively combining parts back together.

The server maintenance last Friday was part of us moving everything over to a new platform. I am hoping that we can put the new Calculator live in the next few weeks.

JS
John Saunders
Sep 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks very much for the replies, good info for me.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 07, 2016

When I was using JVSG the 3D modeling was a great selling point for customers that were on the fence. Obviously the job had to be big enough to warrant the time to create those models, but every single time I made one the job was awarded to us. I am no longer in a position that requires this kind of tool, but I do keep it around just in case.

(2)
TH
Tyler Hopper
Mar 13, 2020

I see that you had planned on adding the wall feature of the calculator a while ago. I don't see that option in the current version. That is something I really need, are you still working on this, or did you give up?

Sean Patton
Mar 13, 2020

We have wall feature on our roadmap, but have been focusing development on Phone Camera Calculator and soon to be released repositionable multi-imager support.

With our in-house development in full stride now, we expect new features to keep coming consistently in 2020.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions