Subscriber Discussion

CCTV Design Software

geert Huisman
Feb 01, 2017

I am looking for a good CCTV design software. I have found CCTVCAD and JSVG. So i know these. (although I have to check them out). The calculator of IPVM I am using most at this moment although it has its restrictions. Any ideas?

Geert Huisman

JH
John Honovich
Feb 01, 2017
IPVM

Geert, CCTVCAD and JSVG are the main two application based ones. Other people use Visio, AutoCAD or other general drawing / planning programs.

Btw, what do you want to be improved on the IPVM calculator? Always looking for ideas for improvement and we are actively developing the Calculator.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 01, 2017

Desktop

Don't forget your CCTV field hardware!

(2)
(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Feb 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Maybe I missed something but here is where I prefer JVSG. When using JVSG, I can upload a google earth image of an apartment community and it will create an approximate 3d view from buildings, parking lots, or anywhere I place the camera

The IPVM 3d view seems to be based off of locations that the google car has driven through. If I drag the camera off the street, the view doesn't change.

(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

The combo of Google Earth and JVSG works for us. I also use the IPVM calculator to compare AOV and focal length to JVSG and the manufacturer spec sheet. I have found many instances where there were large differences between the three and had to sort it out.

(2)
geert Huisman
Feb 02, 2017

Hi John,

I agree with the field equipment. unfortunate sometime the building has too be build yet.  

what I am missing in the IPVM calculator is the following

an automatic bandwith calculator

also Having issue's when importing my images to get the correct FOV

also the night images are not as in real time. actual they are looking worse.  Having a lot of discussions with the customer about the quality

it ould also be great that you could see the PPM on several distances from when camera's probably customers would understand this better

would also be great if we could import a 3D image of a building

JH
John Honovich
Feb 02, 2017
IPVM

Geert,

Thanks, great feedback!

an automatic bandwith calculator

Our problem with bandwidth calculations is that the results tend to be way off. We could do it but the accuracy would be a big issue.

also Having issue's when importing my images to get the correct FOV

I will have John S. on our team follow up to assist you there.

also the night images are not as in real time. actual they are looking worse. Having a lot of discussions with the customer about the quality

That's an interesting point. Our images are based on 'mediocre'/'average' image quality, without IR. One thing we can / will do is add other night time images, e.g., if a camera is super low light or if the camera has integrated IR and is within range (which we know given that we track IR range specs). Thanks for bringing this up!

it ould also be great that you could see the PPM on several distances from when camera's probably customers would understand this better

That is something we do plan to do this year. Agreed.

would also be great if we could import a 3D image of a building

3D images are not something we plan on doing. We might do it in the future but we have a list of other things we are focusing now.

(1)
geert Huisman
Feb 02, 2017

Thanks John. If I have more idea's I will let you know. I have actually to many :) I was already considering to develop the software, cloud based/ what would be a combination between one of the available software and IPVM tool.. but 1. i am not a software developer and 2 I have no time.

this could specially be great for existing buildings, so together with the customer you can design together.

also maybe it would be an idea that members can have there logo etc uploaded. so it will be included in the exported documents.

a complete list of the used camera's with all settings on one sheet would also be great

the option to hide the model number of the camera's. I already have experienced it a lot that customers use your design, and buy the camera's on amazon or something. so you coukd offer them a design with all the detailed information. 

geert

John Scanlan
Feb 02, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Geert,

You can upload / import images by clicking on floor plan.  To ensure the FoV is accurate you will nee to scale the image using a known measure; e.g. I know the conference room is 21 ft wide.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions