Subscriber Discussion

Looking For CCTV Cameras With SSD / Edge Storage 256 GB Or Larger

Sam Kljajic
Oct 23, 2018
Norwegian Cruise Line

Good Day... we are potentially looking for a solution that may exclude any other storage than storage built in the camera. I do know that Cisco Meraki and Avigilon have some offerings of up to 256 GB. Anyone has any experience with H4 Edge Solution ES cameras by Avigilon, or Cisco Meraki MV line like MV12N / MW12W? Or anything similar from other manufacturers? 

I'd like to find out if there are any, to your knowledge, that offer storage larger than 256 GB, and also if there are any PTZ cameras out there with same storage. 

Thanks.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 23, 2018

We have used 400GB memory cards in a few manufacturer cameras without issues.  We won’t go the Avigilon route anymore since we had a large number of issues with their h4es series.  I’d rather be able to swap out a memory card than ram an entire camera.  

Try Hanwha, Hik, Panasonic.  We have used all three with the 400gb cards.  Most claim they only support 256 but the cams see the larger cards and record just fine.  Ymmv though.  

(1)
Sam Kljajic
Oct 23, 2018
Norwegian Cruise Line

Thanks. However, I am strictly looking at built in SSD this time (not SD cards).

UI
Oct 23, 2018

I ran into some brand at GSX but cannot remember their name.  Similar to Cisco, but very limited on hardware options.  If I find his business card I will post the company name for you.  

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Oct 23, 2018

We have had great success with the Avigilon ES line of cameras. Where we have them deployed, we are unable to use the standard server setup as a recording base. All our storage is kept on the SSD. 

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 23, 2018

Avigilon ES H4 cameras work really well as we have them deployed without issues.  Keep in mind if you go the Meraki or Veraki route you must have an WAN connection for the system to work.

(1)
Sam Kljajic
Oct 24, 2018
Norwegian Cruise Line

Thank you Michael, and others.

BP
Bas Poiesz
Oct 24, 2018

Hik Pro Bullet will take a 256GB card easy. Also in this line there are no plugins needed so easy access to the video.

But if I read correct you need SSD? Can you explain why? We never use SSD for video storage as it's a lote more writing vs reading when it comes to disk usage.

(1)
Sam Kljajic
Oct 24, 2018
Norwegian Cruise Line

Simply, we worked with SD before but need something different now.

BP
Bas Poiesz
Oct 24, 2018

Was SD not working properly? If something different is the only need, try HD-TVI :D.

We use and sell a lot of Western Digital Purple. They deliver first class storage for CCTV in their purple line and had addes SD cards in this line.

I am no expert on hard disks but I see no added value for SSD in CCTV.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 24, 2018

No issues with SSD storage built into cameras like Avigilon.  SSD>SD cards

(1)
(1)
UI
Oct 24, 2018

We have had several Avigilon products H4ES line SSD fail and every time it resulted in having to RMA the entire camera.  No storage is perfect at the edge, but I do prefer having the ability to field replace a memory card (1 trip) with lower downtime versus RMA of an entire camera (2 trips).

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 24, 2018

SD cards have a more limited life span than SSD and SD was not designed for 'constant' recording over and over...SD is OK for alarm recording or incidental recording because of network loss but not as the main storage option.

BP
Bas Poiesz
Oct 24, 2018

That greatly depends on the SD card, which is why we prefer Western Digital.
They have waited some time to introduce Purple SD Cards, in order to get it right.

SD cards come in many quality level. Ask any photographer and they can share many a story on SD Cards with things you would not think of at first glance.

Sean Patton
Oct 24, 2018

There is a startup from one of the founders of Meraki, Verkada. They have similar hardware / software architecture as Meraki. We have not tested the cameras or software, but we have a couple reports about them (VSaaS Startup Targets EnterpriseVerkada $15 Million Funding).

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Oct 24, 2018

Most of the Hanwha X Series cameras have dual SD cards to support 256 + 256Gb = 512Gb on the edge.  As others have mentioned, there are some larger cards, such as 400Gb, but YMMV.

And as mentioned above, these are SD cards, not SSDs.

That being said, there is a big difference between low cost and performance SD cards. Not just their speeds, but the type of memory cell used and their life span.

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 24, 2018

*** AVO Employee ***

We have supplied multiple 3MP ES Bullet cameras with 256GB SSD for illegal dumping sites and sites with limited services which have ES Bullets combined with wind and solar power. These have now been in operation for just over a year I guess with no issues reported thus far.

We also advance replace through our disti's so why 2 trips I don't know...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions