Cars Burglarized - Parking Security / Access Control Policy?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 12, 2017
IPVM

A friend was telling me how cars were burglarized in his parking garage, which lead me to thinking about parking garage access control policies.

I have noticed that at least some buildings or developments have pretty lax policies, e.g., past tenants / residents can still use their sticker or credential to get in or, more broadly, that credentials are not carefully tracked, allowing them to get out.

On the other hand, video is certainly more common these days so that helps even if for investigation purposes.

Curious, what do members recommend for maximizing parking garage security / access control?

Michael Silva
Aug 12, 2017
Silva Consultants

Parking garages are the number one problem area for most of the residential developments that I consult for. Tailgating through the garage gate or overhead door is the biggest issue - it's almost impossible to stop people or other vehicles from entering the garage whenever a resident drives in or out. 

We try to combat this through resident security awareness training ("please wait for gate to close before driving off") but this is never completely effective. Most developments have neither the space nor budget to implement interlocking gates (sally-ports), and the traffic volumes at peak hours would make this impractical at most developments anyway.

In some cases, we have recommended high-speed overhead doors (such as the Marathon) to replace slower doors or gates. This does seem to help to discourage tailgating. It's also easier to ask a resident to wait 6 seconds for a door to close before driving off than it is to ask them to wait 20 seconds.

At some developments, we have resorted to stationing a security guard at the gate and having them check parking permits as vehicles enter. This seems like a step backwards in terms of access control, but there are still many things a human can do more effectively than technology can.

Video can be a useful tool for investigating incidents after-the-fact, but does nothing to prevent problems from occurring in the first place. Also, many big-city police departments consider car prowls and other property crimes to be an extremely low priority - so much so that in some cases they ask the victim to file a report online and refuse to respond to the site. In most cases, these departments won't commit resources to investigating these types of crimes - even if a clear video recording of the suspect is available. 

Unfortunately, the way that architects design many parking garages, once you are in the garage, you are in the building. If there are doors between the garage and the building, they can't be locked because they are required fire exits. But I'll save that rant for another day...

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 12, 2017
IPVM

Michael, thanks!

In some cases, we have recommended high-speed overhead doors (such as the Marathon) to replace slower doors or gates.

What are the tradeoffs of those doors? Much more expensive? Others?

Michael Silva
Aug 12, 2017
Silva Consultants

High-speed doors are about $30,000 each installed. The maximum width available is about 30', so in some cases, we have had to use two high-speed doors to replace one rolling parking gate. In these cases, we usually divide the gate opening in two and have one door in the inbound direction and one door in the outbound direction. Also, you need a ceiling height of at least 9' to accommodate these doors, which is not available in all parking garages.

IMO, high-speed doors are much more reliable than traditional overhead doors and require less maintenance. So although more expensive, they can actually save the owner money in the long run.

If you can eliminate the cost of security guard (at $175,000 per year) by putting in a couple of high-speed doors, the payback is pretty quick.

(4)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Around here DoorKing is by far the primary controller used in apartment communities. One flaw is there is no expiration date or integration into the leasing software. So when a resident leaves, they usually do not get deleted from the access control. Staff usually goes through the database manually every so often.

Michael Budalich
Aug 13, 2017
Genetec

The gate at my parking garage is Door King and I agree I see them more than anybody else.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions