Subscriber Discussion

Office Puts RFID Chip Under Staff Skin

JP
Jason Pfau
Feb 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I thought I would throw out this article I saw on the BBC the other day. It raises some eyebrows but at the same time, I can't say that having been in this industry for 15+ years, that I am that surprised to see this come up in a discussion.

BBC - Office puts chip under employee skin

(1)
TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Feb 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Interesting twist on the usual authentication categories of

1. Something you have
  2. Something you know
  3. Something you are

adding

4. Something you have become

Personally, I'm gonna hold off on getting my mark of the beast until it can be done with out breaking the skin, preferably more like a infra-red UPC than an an sub dermal FOB...

JH
John Honovich
Feb 03, 2015
IPVM

Woah...

I just watched the video. Also, I embedded it into Scott's original comment to make it easier to see.

Btw, money shot of the chip being injected / implanted:

(1)
Carl Lindgren
Feb 03, 2015

Here's the full-featured version:

(2)
William Buckley
Feb 05, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Wow! That was an intertesting video. Years from now, that might be more prevalent than most people would think.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Nov 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I assume there is a process or procedure to take this thing out when you terminate your employment.... like an employee surgical suite.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

No need, just have yourself unenrolled from your former employers system, and impress your next Draconian Overlord with your deep commitment to Access Control. ;)

KA
Konstantin Avramenko
Nov 21, 2015

Now for fun, next step Apple will say it is cool to get an Apple chip to play with your iPhone, then driver license and finally everybody will be chipped.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Nov 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

now that is company loyalty... it will be a disappointing/painful day when the company wants to update staff credentials and have to do it all over again... i have always thought that an implant would be handy so then maybe you wouldn't have to tote around a wallet and keys (or worry about forgetting them) however mobile devices will pretty much make that a reality in the near future...

KA
Konstantin Avramenko
Nov 22, 2015

A lot of loyalty... Sometimes people worry that in case of biometric access control their finger can be cut out by criminals - Now criminals will need in a saw. And there is no liveness detection by the way.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions