Subscriber Discussion

Canon Reveals "Revolutionary" New Security Camera!

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Canon security engineers are sure to create a little sibling rivalry with their engineer friends at Axis over their announcement of a 600mm* pan-tilt-zoom with extreme low-light capabilities.

They are quite enamored with it:

This new camera will totally revolutionise low light surveillance...

As in "like, totally dude"

and again show the world why Canon is a global leader in IP Network cameras.

Not to be a jerk but when was the other time?  Ok, let's see this bad boy!

Clever, a Darth Vader inspired look, kids will love it!

Drawing on a range of optical technologies that Canon has cultivated over many years, the network camera being developed will feature a large-aperture ultra-telephoto zoom lens with a focal length of more than 600 mm (35 mm film equivalent) that achieves a bright F-value of 2.4 to allow large amounts of light to enter.

The lens will incorporate aspherical and UD (Ultra Low Dispersion) lens elements that suppress the incidence of chromatic aberrations, which become more prevalent as a lens’s aperture size increases, while making possible a compact lens unit.

The combination of the large-aperture lens with a high-sensitivity sensor and high-performance image processor will enable the colour recognition of a subject’s face at a distance of 100 meters even in dark environments with a mere 0.08 lux of illumination, roughly equivalent to the illuminance of moonlight.

By comparison, conventional night time surveillance to date has only been possible within a limited range with the aid of infrared illumination, or by using a night mode that only captures images in black and white.

Is it a revolution or just spin?

*35mm equivalent. Depending how big the sensor is that could be as little as a 80mm security lens.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

BTW, we are coming up on a year since another Japanese electronics giant announced a revolutionary low-light camera. True Innovation? Sharp Electronics Bold New Security Camera

That one had a demo model with part number and shipping dates.

But not a word about it in months...

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Viva la revolución!

The camera is here, almost (April).

Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today unveiled the VB-M50B, a high-performance network camera capable of capturing color accurate video even in low light environments. The VB-M50B PTZ Network Camera can reproduce color video down to .04 lux* and black and white video down to .002 lux*, making it ideal for many applications where lighting may be limited, ranging from security and surveillance to web casting.

This thing must have incredible low light performance, because otherwise it's a turd.

• 1.3 MP
  • 5X Zoom
  • $3500

Not even 360 degree pan rotation. A revolutionary camera that can't make a full revolution...

(1)
MG
Michael Goodwin
Feb 28, 2016

price needs to be 5x lower.

bit like that Avigilon Pro series for 20k... much lol

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Maybe the government will pick them up, they need a couple after they lost one of their SCADA PTZ Tandem boxes recently:

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 08, 2016

Hi,

Disclaimer right up front; I work for Canon...

A very high percentage of the people we have shown this camera to have placed forward orders, or plan to in the near future, after seeing it's low-light performance and other features

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

after seeing it's low-light performance...

Cool, they say seeing is believing. Where was it shown?

UM
Mar 08, 2016

Firstly; at the Canon Expo event held November last year in Paris.

Then at numerous end-user locations and 3rd party events since.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Firstly; at the Canon Expo event held November last year in Paris.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the ME20?

UM
Mar 08, 2016

100% sure I'm not, both complimentary products were shown

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

And so it was:

:

Though I don't believe it had acquired a model number yet, which made it hard to x-ref with anything from the expo.

Is there a promo/demo video that was created for it?

UM
Mar 09, 2016

It was down the enclosed alley as well that the guys in the picture are viewing.

There is related video, as well as other promotional and supporting material, and it should all be freely available from the end of March.

If it is not deemed as too 'salesy' by the admins of IPVM I will gladly share it all via this thread at that time.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 09, 2016
IPVM

2, thanks, please do. I'd like to see more.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Sorry about calling your camera a 'turd'. :)

I hereby retract until the new video evidence arrives, at which point I will eat my words, if necessary.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 08, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

How does one achieve a focal length of 600mm in a casing that is clearly no where near that large? This may be a dumb question, so flame away if needed.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Not a dumb question. As I said at the top,

*35mm equivalent. Depending how big the sensor is that could be as little as a 80mm security lens.

(1)
(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 08, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I guess I'm not as versed on optics as maybe I should be. Thanks for taking it easy on me.

UM
Mar 17, 2016

[NOTE: Undisclosed 2 is Canon Employee]

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_work/business-products/network-cameras/vb-m50b/

VB-M50B @ 0.25 Lux

VB-M50B @ 1.0 Lux

Brian Karas
Mar 17, 2016
IPVM

Absent any motion/live video it's really hard to judge this camera in a useful way.

UM
Mar 17, 2016
UM
Mar 17, 2016

Hello Brian,

Video footage provided via the follow-up post - here again just in case, Canon VB-M50B

Brian Karas
Mar 17, 2016
IPVM

Thanks, I didn't see your other post with that link. I embedded the video in your post to make it easier for people to see.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 17, 2016
IPVM

So does that mean the VB-M50B is great or the VB-H43 is bad in low light?

This is a fundamental question when looking at any manufacturer side by side marketing video. Pick a bad low light camera, make your new one look great.

Related, what was the measured lux level at the car / women?

UM
Mar 17, 2016

Thank Brian

John - The VB-M50B is great, the VB-H43 is also a very, very strong camera. We cannot ourselves publish images vs. product from the competition but would gladly pitch it in a direct shoot-out against branded Darkfighter, Starlight, or Lightfinder models.

Customer feedback I have received thus far, from multiple different sources, is that VB-M50B is unmatched in low-light performance.

VB-H43 for spec comparision - VB-H43

The question you posed is very much related. However; I do not have that information currently but will work to obtain it and post here.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the clips!

I'm noticing that most of the Canon line of PTZ's aren't 360 pan continuous. What's driving this: cost, reliability, lack of perceived demand or something else?

UM
Apr 07, 2016

Hello Unc1,

I'm not sure how to best answer your question, it's likely a mix of all you mentioned. Canon currently offers the following PTZ models:

VB-R10VE - 360 degrees

VB-R11VE - 360 degrees

VB-R11 - 360 degrees

VB-H43 - 340 degrees

VB-M42 - 340 degrees

VB-S30D - 350 degrees

VB-S31D - 350 degrees

VB-M50B - 348 degrees

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes quite a few get quite close to making the full roundabout.

But the difference between 359 and 360 is more than one of degree.

My question is simply "what factors affect Canon's decision of whether to make an endless pan mechanism?"

I was expecting something like, (for example), "we include it on our high-end lines only" or "we include it unless the size of the imager module harness makes it impractical."

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 17, 2016

Since you brought it up a Canon VB-M50B vs Axis Q6114-e would be a fun shoot out.

UM
Apr 07, 2016

Hello John,

"Related, what was the measured lux level at the car / women?"

20 metres = 0.5 lux

50 metres = 0.9 lux

80 metres = 0.7 lux

100 metres = 2.0 lux

Hope this helps

UM
Apr 20, 2016

Hi,

Just updating here with a link to a new relevant video:

Thanks!

FL
Fraser Larcombe
Apr 20, 2016
Vix Verify - Imagus

Looks very nice, love to try one some day

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 20, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Is this a table top camera, a la Dropcam? Why does every image of this PTZ show it in that orientation? Is it weatherproof? Why is it black? None of this makes any sense.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Why is it black?

It is black to absorb every last photon possible.

UM
Apr 21, 2016

Hello Jon,

Is this a table top camera, a la Dropcam?

No, it is a fully functioning security standard PTZ unit for 24/7 use.

Why does every image of this PTZ show it in that orientation?

Marketing choice I suppose

Is it weatherproof?

Not as you see it in that video no. It would require to be fitted in an IP66/IK10 rated housing and appropriate mounting options

Why is it black?

Why not? Why is the sky blue ...or grass green?

I would be very interested to hear further on the colour comment, and also why you think 'it makes no sense'. Would be valuable feedback as I haven't received anything similar to this point.

Thanks

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

The reason for questioning the color choice is due to the fact that dark colored objects tend to overheat when placed out in sunlight.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, but this is mitaged to a degree by the fact that it can't be outside without an enclosure to begin with.

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

What outdoor enclosure does Canon suggest for this model? Everything shown indicates it's primary use is outdoors in low light, yet the camera isn't weatherproof and the Canon website does not show an appropriate enclosure.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You can just stuff two of them in one of these ;)

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

With an enclosure like that, who needs 360 degree endless pan?

MG
Michael Goodwin
Apr 21, 2016

sounds like a fairly niche product if it goes that well I'm sure the sensor will be available in a whole range and copied by Hik (lol)

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 21, 2016

Canon was showing different housing options at ISC. I would recommend the Dotworkz housing as we have had great luck with them.

(1)
UM
Apr 22, 2016

Hello Jon,

What outdoor enclosure does Canon suggest for this model?

There will be further information issued regarding accessories as we get closer to the products official shipping/release date of mid-May. However; due to the VB-M50B's similar dimensions to the VB-H43 any housing compatible with the latter will work with the former.

Everything shown indicates it's primary use is outdoors in low light, yet the camera isn't weatherproof and the Canon website does not show an appropriate enclosure.

In traditional, static, permanent applications then yes we will need to confirm and offer a variety of housing/accessory options. Due to it's capability it's being adopted by users that do not conform to static or permanent.

Thanks

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions