Subscriber Discussion

Can You Decode This Axis Q1659 20MP Marketing Video?

Brian Karas
Apr 13, 2017
IPVM

What do you think Axis is attempting to convey with this video?

Does it make you want to use Axis cameras, and/or the specific camera featured? What would your expectations of the camera be after watching the video?

I have some theories of my own, which I will post after some other comments from IPVM members.

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Another strange ad campaign, but still more relevant than dancers.

(4)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 14, 2017

This is the 'turning torso' tower in Malmo, not far from their HQ. Looks like they have it point out a window.

Are they attempting an Avigilon style marketing deception where the operator digitally zooms on the crowd to unrealistic footage? Note: The lens is definitely being zoomed between shots in this AXIS video, and that can't be done from Axis Camera Station (shown at the end)

Fashion photography? Axis / Canon.. we get it. Get back to useful applications for this camera.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

Are they attempting an Avigilon style marketing deception where the operator digitally zooms on the crowd to unrealistic footage?

They do label which of the shots are from the camera in the lower right hand corner.

But I also don't understand the link between the photo shoot and the shots from the camera. I guess Axis is linking both cameras (the one shooting the model and the Axis one high up) as professional photography but it's hard for me to see.

I agree with you #1, focusing on what useful applications the camera can actually do for surveillance would be more effective.

Btw, we bought one to test, it's backordered but hopefully we get it by early May.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 14, 2017

I realise they label the shots - but you could easily get the impression that it is 100% digital zoom on the higher elevation shots (which is not the case).

I was referring to the marketing videos such this which look great until you realise the Avigilons of the day were circa 3FPS... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0EtwHieUYE

Having said all that I've been luck enough to get my hands on a Q1659 and I think they are a fantastic camera with great bitrates and adjustability - but the marketing really needs to stay on point.

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 14, 2017

Seems like Canon had a lot of input on the marketing video.   I did check out this camera at ISC and I was surprised how large it is which is going to limit the housing it can fit in.  Looking forward to testing this when ours comes in. 

(1)
(1)
Ricardo Souza
Apr 14, 2017
Motorola Solutions • IPVMU Certified

In my humble opinion...

In the start of the video where they show the pictures being taken by a professional dslr canon camera is to allude you into thinking that the Axis camera uses/shares of the same technology and greatness that high-end canon cameras has and everyone knows of. (Nikon should buy a cctv camera manufacturer too =P)

And then zooming out the camera to have a very wide view of everything from very far away is trying to show the powerful capabilities of the camera. High quality, One camera can replace X cameras, Powerful zoom, less cameras to manage/maintain, etc.

"See the world at the tip of your fingers"

By the end they show that sharp looking guy that could be a CEO checking out his cameras live footage from the top of his 50 store building, from where he can control and manages everything by the click of a button via a easy to use software and outstanding camera video quality.

"You don´t need special and lengthy training to manage your system"

Cameras are becoming fashionable now. wow. we have come far. i hope soon we can start to customize and picking any color we want just like a ferrari.
Nice video =)

(1)
Tony Darland
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I agree with Ricardo's last point. I'm no marketing expert, but it seems like Axis/Cannon are playing to the high society, artistic, classy market.

(2)
(1)
Brian Karas
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

This is essentially what I was thinking, Axis is trying to draw parallels between professional DSLRs, associated with crisp images, and their surveillance cameras. More subtly, those high-end DSLRs are usually thought of as being expensive and high-caliber, a "you get what you pay for" kind of product. Because the Axis 20MP camera is fairly pricey, for a network camera, I think they are trying to make that connection as a way of justifying the price.

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Pricing wise, the Q1659 is priced very similarly to the top of the line EOS-1dx Mark II DSLR camera body.

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

To me, video is all about the image. I recognized  2  things right away in the advert: 1) The world of beautiful photography and security cameras have merged to equal a quality picture; and, 2) Cannon-- globally known for their professional cameras -- is now part of Axis.  

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions