Subscriber Discussion

Can Wireless Mesh Be Trusted?

Christian Laforte
Jan 12, 2017

Interesting topic! I have a question for the wireless mesh industry experts out there...

This topic sometimes comes up with our customers (mostly large critical infrastructure and defense). Their perception is that wireless mesh networks can't be trusted - they can too easily be disrupted through EM interference. Can anyone comment if this is still the case? Are directional antennas a possible solution? Are there innovations coming up that might address this, and make it suitable for more security-critical applications than just parking lots?

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Ubiquiti $99 Mesh Node Challenges Wireless Competitors

Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Jan 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

As for the mesh...

Mesh is not so stable as regular wireless infrastructure, because transport between access points provided via wireless as well. EM interference affect any wireless either regular or mesh topology. If dedicated person decide to shut down the network using EM interference and will have funds (direct attack on the network), wireless network will have no chances because it is possible to jam the whole spectrum both 2,4 and 5Ghz. Directional antennas will do jamming slightly more difficult but they are not able to solve the problem. Innovations will not fix this because the problem is in EM wave physics itself. We have a shared medium and this medium could be accessed by anyone (no physical restrictions) and the loudest signal is the priority. Situation is just the same with people talking... even if you will talk loud it is always possible for somebody to bring the rock-fest to the place and make your speech completely unrecognizable. Thus several external antenna arrays with amplifiers are able to jam the entire net if needed.

As for the casual interference mesh is slightly worse than wired WDS and the general recommendation is to use mesh only if wires can not be installed.

In conclusion you should evaluate the risk of a direct attack on the network and if it is minimal then use regular wireless with wired WDS and if it is not possible go mesh.

(3)
Christian Laforte
Jan 13, 2017

Thanks Oleksiy!

(1)
Danny Bensimhon
Jan 19, 2017

(Disclaimer - I am a Siklu employee)

Jamming the whole spectrum at both 2.4 and 5Ghz is possible due to wide and affordable availability of powerful omni/wide-sector antennas and transmitters over those relatively narrow bands. On the other hand, there are other wireless alternatives who operate over higher frequencies, offer pencil width narrow beams and finding an omni/sector antennas over those bands coupled with high enough transmitters is either not possible or very challenging. More specifically I am talking about 60GHz and 70/80GHz P2P wireless solutions which are already deployed also for video surveillance networks. 

JH
John Honovich
Jan 19, 2017
IPVM

On the other hand, there are other wireless alternatives who operate over higher frequencies, offer pencil width narrow beams

Listen, if you are going to promote your own offering, don't be sneaky about it. Just say that is what your product runs on.

Also, remember to include how much more expensive your offering is than competitors in the 2.4 and 5Ghz space.

(1)
Danny Bensimhon
Jan 19, 2017

John, 

Thanks for your comment.

1. Siklu is not the only vendor who offers 60, 70/80GHz gear- my comment was given without referring to a specific vendor nor product.

2. Prices, yes, those high frequencies based radios are more expensive (starting around $2000 per link) and that comes with predicted performance and gigabit capacity which is usually suitable to multiple high megapixel cameras, or for locations with no clean channel (or hard to find) at 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Danny

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 19, 2017
IPVM

Siklu is not the only vendor who offers 60, 70/80GHz gear- my comment was given without referring to a specific vendor nor product.

Yes, but your 'given' was obviously meant to endorse / promote your own offering and there is no one else actively marketing such gear in video surveillance.

(1)
Danny Bensimhon
Jan 19, 2017

John,

Yes there are other vendors, even with proven deployments before Siklu entered this market. Please don't expect me to help their marketing efforts by listing the names..

JH
John Honovich
Jan 19, 2017
IPVM

Please don't expect me to help their marketing efforts by listing the names..

Yes, I realize you are here to help your own marketing efforts. Just wanted to be clear our rules against promotion.

(1)
Danny Bensimhon
Jan 19, 2017

Sure.

1. we agree now that there are other vendors.

2. My original answer was without mentioning that we have such products.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions