Subscriber Discussion

Can I Run On Two Axis Camera Station Servers, Same Cameras Simultaneously?

Demetris Erodotou
Nov 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

i get an email from a customer that need to upgrade from axis camera 4 to axis camera 5.

they have 34 axis cameras running on axis camera station 4.

They need also a second PC as a backup   running the same cameras .

The question is : do they need to buy additional license for the second server ?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 24, 2017
IPVM

Demetris, is the goal here to provide redundancy in case one of the servers goes offline? I think that is what you want but would appreciate you clarifying so we (and/or Axis) can provide the appropriate response.

Demetris Erodotou
Nov 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Yes redundancy is the goal .

JH
John Honovich
Nov 24, 2017
IPVM

For Axis Camera Station, I believe the solution is to use edge storage / SD cards. From the ACS user manual:

Will that work for you? 

I can ask Axis about running to 2 servers simultaneously, without buying an additional license, but I am pretty sure the answer to that is no and that the supported solution to your general problem is using edge storage.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...the supported solution to your general problem is using edge storage.

It sounds like he wants system redundancy, not just to not miss a recording.

If so I wonder if Axis would allow a hot-standby to be configured, recording, but not being used unless the main system is down.

Demetris Erodotou
Nov 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The request is to run on two servers simultaneously with same license and not to pay for additional license....

john if you  ask  axis please let me know .

Thanks 

JH
John Honovich
Nov 24, 2017
IPVM

Ok, submitted to Axis, will post their reply.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Have you seen this already?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 29, 2017
IPVM

Axis response:

Running two servers to the same camera(s) is not officially supported by Axis. It is however possible but requires tight control of configuration in the servers to work properly. Although not officially supported by Axis we do know that a number of customers use this to achieve server redundancy.

This does however require 2 device licenses for each camera. (One for each server)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions