Subscriber Discussion

Camouflaging Antennas/ High Risk Locations

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 31, 2017

I am pricing out a camera system for a location that has a very high risk of vandalism. It involves 13 separate condo buildings, 1 camera per building, that will be connected via UBNT nanobeams. 

The cameras I will be using are ip66/ik10 rated so theres not much I can do there. But I am more concerned with the antennas that are far from durable. There is no way to roof mount these so they will be on the side of the building which is all brick. 

My only thought for now is to mount as high as possible and put a brick sticker over top so at the very least its not a bright white disk on the dark brick. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 31, 2017

Could I mount one inside a large jbox?

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 31, 2017

I have installed APs inside NEMA boxes to protect and disguise them.  This was for parking lot cameras on light poles so I just installed another small NEMA box and mounted the Fluidmesh link inside.  Been working for about 3 years now without issue.   

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Mar 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have painted these quite often.

Buy a couple AC's, stick them in a box and test it out. See what the signal strength is without the cover and with the cover. Depending on the design, with one camera per building, your load is not that high.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions