Subscriber Discussion

Cameras In Refrigerator?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Any special considerations?

Cameras are going in a refrigerated warehouse. They will be 30' off the ground, surface mounted to the ceiling that is a 5" piece of styrofoam insulation with metal on both sides

Scott Smith
Nov 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Also called IMP (Insulated Metal Panel).

There is a correct way to do this. Otherwise its a roll of the dice. 
Make sure you condition the cameras before you install. Otherwise they will condensate like crazy.

When I get to the office in the morning I will take a picture of a drawing on the correct way to penetrate the IMP.

We bid a job in a food production facility the way it was drawn but got beat by another contractor that did not do it correctly. Now they are having all kinds of problems with RJ45s corroding and shorting out because of the condensation.

(6)
Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 21, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

If your cameras don’t have in camera connections, make sure to utilize waterproof boots on all connections. All of the outdoor cameras we have used in the last few years include these with the camera. We have yet to have one fail. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I figured once they were in the space, they would not condensate. I assume conditioning you remove the dome and let everything get to temperature before reassembling?

We plan on mounting the camera directly to the panel and having the pigtail in the attic. Would we still have an issue with the connector?

The building engineer and I discussed it, and we both thought a hole saw was the best way to go. Probably have to clear the bit a couple times due to the thickness.

I would be interested to see your drawings.

Scott Smith
Nov 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What I meant by condition your material is store it in the same environment. 

The job I was on they brought the material straight out of a hot connex in July to the cooler and installed it.

Look at the lower detail. Our application was food processing so we had to use stainless 1 1/2" Rigid.

The reason for the 6" of insulation on the cool side of the wall and 36" on the warm side is to get an adequate thermal break. 
The "C" is also important to seal the penetration.

The condensation is generated when warm and cool air combine so any air leaks cause condensation.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Nov 21, 2017

I just completed a project that was virtually identical to this.  We used some Samsung IP67 domes  XNV-60 series.  The biggest issue we had was coordinating who was installing the J box in the ceiling (us, or the GC, or the GC's electrician) and getting the proper mounting hardware to connect the camera to that box. We ended up  using the 1.5 NPT cap to pendant and screwing it into the J box and sealing it.  Since there are special requirements for food prep, work out that J box and mount stuff now.

Also, if the ceilings are that high (which ours were as well) consider how you are going to do maintenance on those cameras after all of the equipment has been brought in.

We strongly encouraged the customer to use IP69 stainless cameras (I think it was Axis that had them) because I was concerned about cleaning chemicals  and a 'normal' camera.  They declined to do that, and instead used the IP67 Samsung. I included some protection clauses in our contract warning them against that.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions