Subscriber Discussion

Camera Testing Procedures

MR
Mike Ridgley
Oct 30, 2013

I am in the process of building an internal VMS / Camera testing procedure for project closeout purposes. I could use some suggestions from the ‘cloud-source’ of information…that is IPVM.

So to get this discussion kicked off – I have been thinking of defining or segmenting the testing procedures into ‘Cameras’ ‘Software’ ‘Servers’ ‘Network’ or something in this neighborhood.

Base line recommendations?

MR
Mike Ridgley
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks John - that is a decent starting point. So I have included testing bitrate, framerate and quantization using AVInaptic.

I also plan on including the metrics defined in my design software to qualify image quality using a snellen chart. For example - in my design, I state that using a 2Mp camera with a defined focal length SHOULD give me my Px/ft ratio at the distance provided by the design software. Proof of concept / design?

Are there any other integrators going through this level of final procedure testing?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 30, 2013
IPVM

"I state that using a 2Mp camera with a defined focal length SHOULD give me my Px/ft ratio at the distance provided by the design software."

I am not sure if you need to do field testing for that, only because it's a straightforward math problem (i.e., if you know the horizontal pixel count and the FoV width, the ppf/ppm is a direct output).

However, what is interesting / important is what the real quality is (i.e., you have a spot - say doorway - where you know that the ppf is 50, but the real visible quality could vary significantly depending on other factors).

I would suspect that most integrators simply measure visibly - i.e., customer looks at image with a test subject (often one of the field techs or their car), if the video looks good enough to the user / manager's eye, it is accepted.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions