Subscriber Discussion

Camera's IR LED At Night Attracts Insects

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 23, 2016

Recently one customer came to us complaining that our camera IR LED at night was attracting insects and spiders which was surrounding camera lens and no practical view for surveillance. This was the first incident I heard for such cases, I was wondering any memebers on this forum have any ideas how could mitigate this issue? Does IR LED really attract insects and spiders at night?

Brian Karas
Jul 23, 2016
IPVM

This is definitely a problem with IR LEDs, in my experience it seems to be regional, in some areas it is not a problem, in other areas it is a bug magnet.

The best long-term approach is to disable the IR LEDs in the camera and use an external illuminator mounted a foot or two away from the camera (preferably above, especially with a dome).

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2016
IPVM

The best long-term approach is to disable the IR LEDs in the camera and use an external illuminator

In general or for that specific spot? In general, find a better integrated IR camera if you see this repeatedly with a specific line. Our stats show this is overall not a common problem.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2016
IPVM

What model are you using that are attracting insects?

It definitely happens but overall seems to be in the minority of cases. Related: Integrated IR Camera Use Surging and Avigilon Or Axis Integrated IR Cameras - Have You Had Problems With Bugs?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 23, 2016

Hi John,

Customer wasn't giving specific details so we only know that customer tried Axis, HikVision, GeoVision cameras and all of them exhibit this issue at customer site (somewhere in Ireland, no specific was given). Since this is the first incident I heard so I thought maybe experienced memebers in this forum might gave me some insights as I don't have any experience and knowledge regarding this issue. It seems that this issue does exist but limited.

I learned that not every IR LED is equal, for example the most prevalent is 850nm and 940nm, some other deploy IR LED with different wavelengths. I was wondering whether different IR LED wavelength plays a role here? Or just insects in certain regions are attracted to IR LEDs?

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I was wondering whether different IR LED wavelength plays a role here? Or just insects in certain regions are attracted to IR LEDs?

Those questions are addressed here, Why Does IR LED Lighting Attract Insects?.

Warning: Discussion is rated SN, speculative with mild name calling.

Gert Molkens
Jul 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I've seen this happening on different brands (Sony, Axis, China, ..) and models allthough for some reason i have the feeling that bullets have more issues with this than (fixed) domes. Especially the 'sunscreen' on top o bullets seems to be a good starting point to start making spider webs. Of course, this seems much more dificult on the dome shaped cover of a dome camera

Gert Molkens
Jul 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

By the way, it's not only the IR that attract the bugs but certainly also the heat they're generating. You see the same thing happening with motion sensors in intrusion systems or even mice in IT cabinets (no IR at all in thos last instance).

Maybe worthwile to take a look at where this issues are reported and what the climate is like in these area's (temperature, humidity, differences day/night) Also what kind of bugs, i think more spidersbin the winter and flying insect in the summer but i could be wrong about that.

As for a solution, i'm with Brian on that one: move the IR away from the camera

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions