Subscriber Discussion

Why Do We Keep Mounting Cameras So High?

Gert Molkens
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Why do we keep mounting camera's like this?

Sure, i can understand that it is far lees likely to be damaged by vandalism if you mount it that high but at what cost?

How usable will the video from this camera be?

What would you do?

• Mount an IK10 minidome lower on the wall
  • Mount a camera on the inside looking through the glass door
  • Mount a T25 or similar solution
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 14, 2016
IPVM

I see this often as well. Lots of people are very concerned about vandalism but, to your point, it undermines the camera / quality / usability.

Related: Testing Camera Height vs Image Quality

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Let's hope CamOver doesn't make it to the states:

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 14, 2016

Lack of education is my guess. I would say 95% of the conversations with new customers start off by them says "mount the camera high so no one can mess with them". Over the last 16 years I can recall only one camera that I have seen that was vandalized and it had a bullet hole in it. Show them images from cameras mounted high vs mounted 6-8ft. Once they see this most of the smart customers will have you mount them low.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

"...one camera that I have seen that was vandalized and it had a bullet hole in it."

last frame recorded:

(1)
(2)
Ari Erenthal
Aug 15, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

A camera of mine, a vandal dome, once got shot. It survived the bullet but died from rain getting into the housing later on.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

So maybe there are two cameras, one inside. In that case, the outside one is doing equal duty as a visible deterrent.

Domes are tougher to mess with for sure, but nothing is quite the same as a directional camera pointing at you.

Since most criminals probably don't have IPVM's camera calculator on their mobile devices, I'm not sure that they fully visualize what a likely FOV is from either of the form factors.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 15, 2016
IPVM

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions