Subscriber Discussion

Camera Looking Through Thick Lead Lined Glass?

RG
Robert Gonzales
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Colleagues,

i am in need of your assistance. I have recently taken on a project as a project manager and it involves placement of some Ip Vedic surveillance cameras outside of a TRU Waste evaluation glovebox. Has anyone ever experienced setting up a series of cameras looking in through thick lead lined glass to observe and record the opening and processing of a drum containing low level radioactive waste? Looking for so approach ideas for being able to capture the unpacking of the radioactive waste drums and the repackaging of a new daughter drum. Given the state of electronics used in IP cameras do I need to take into consideration the effect of the radiation on the camera internal components?

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Week 4 Exercise: Specify A Camera Using The Camera Calculator

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I am asking, because I do not know: is lead-lined glass semi-opaque?

Is there a noticeable heat signature when this process is occurring? If so, perhaps thermal cameras are an option here?

Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Nov 10, 2014

IR trough glass ? Would that even work ?
Usually you need special glass to look trough with InfraRed.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

IR can be defined differently than thermal, but yes you're right - usually glass blocks passing meaningful images inside.

However, especially if the glass itself is conductive, maybe monitoring the surface temperature glass could be helpful? ie:

I could be misunderstanding the size of the lead-lined glass area too. I assumed it is small, but can OP share some more construction details like size and placement of windows?

I've used thermal for industrial processes before, but never one involving radioactive packaging. I also assume there are specialized instruments designed for operations like this?

RG
Robert Gonzales
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Rogier,

Thanks for your response to my post as well. In the post below to Brian, I elaborated a bit more on what the customer is expecting to be able to see within the glove-box. Additionaly, I have also addressed the yellowing or oxidation of the glass on the glove-box due to oxidation from the chemical and radioactive materials used in the glove-box. again, thanks for your reply to my post.

Respectfully,

Robert

RG
Robert Gonzales
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Brian, over time the oxidation from the fmaterial used in the glove-box has caused the glass to yellow. The control center which will be remote from the location where the glove-box work is to be conducted will have two monitoring screens to display the images being captured in the glove-box. Due to the nature of the work and what they are trying to capture on video IR would not be a good fit. Thanks for your reply to my post and question.

respectfully,

Robert

Brian Rhodes
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Perhaps you could mount a covert-style camera, where the image processor is separate from the lens, (ie: Axis F series or similar) and install it through a clarified part of the glass?

The main part of the camera could be mounted away from the 'danger zone', and periodic replacement of the lens unit might be acceptable instead of an heavily shielded/ engineered device.

Promo clip:

Can the chamber be penetrated in any way? Can a pinhole be made and sealed in a safe way?

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Nov 10, 2014

Just use mirror into camera.

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Nov 10, 2014

IR 'signature' of thick lead liner glass would be like sky of moonlightless night. Pitched in black darkness except for errent high enrgy mutant particle to strike cmos, those would be like stars in sky.

After time cmos ruined by bombadiering partcles, but no wanted image anyway.

Glass stop IR good, thick glass stop IR better, lead thick glass best stopper. Better luck u will have looking thru one thick red brick.

Not good outcome there. But not a problem because Baccarat, for instance, is very high see thru visible light so there is no problem!

To thwart mutant showering particles use mirrors, mutant particles go straight, light makes left turn into lens. See the radiation waste clear without damage.

Put a camera in lead box, (excepting lens) to protect from anything, xtra precaution.

Source: friend Svet, was xray nurse and his ruined nikkon coolpix camera is a proof.(but he still use it)

RG
Robert Gonzales
Nov 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Tudor, thanks for your multiple replays and the information contained in your responses to me. I'm meeting with some rad waste subject matter experts this week and I'm going to present your suggestions to them. I'm not an expert in the field of handeling radioactive waste but I do need to know if the radioactive emissions will harm the lens or other components of the camera.

RG
Robert Gonzales
Nov 10, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Brian,

Thanks for this update and information I will definitely look into this as an option. Question, do you know of any type of lens filter that could be used to cut down on the yellow effect of the of glove-box glass?

Respectfully,

Robert

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Nov 10, 2014

Robert, Tedor. If camera have one-push of white balance, try one-pushing when camera pointed at some yellow thing. Or settting the setting 'indoor' or coolish/blue.

RG
Robert Gonzales
Nov 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Great idea, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions