Alberto Riccitelli
May 19, 2014

Hello.

I am searching for a good camera with the following aspects:

• WiFi connection
  • easilly placable on surfaces without the need of a stand
  • integrated IR
  • motion detection
  • the possibility to send recorded videos to a NAS not necessarily using an ftp
  • remote control through internet not necessarily by using a dynamic DNS service

I am asking this because i haven't found any review regarding a camera like this, with the exception of the Foscam one that seems, however, a bit problematic camera.

An early thanks

P.S. Sorry for my possibile english mistakes

John Bazyk
May 19, 2014
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

I have been testing one of the wifi cameras from hikvision for about a week and their wifi nvr over this last weekend. Both seem to work well with no noticeable issues yet. Day and Night images are good and the IR is good for what is it. Hardwired is almost always a better option.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 19, 2014

I have found only these two models near my needs considering that i am in Italy. Can you specify me the model you have tested?

About the hardwired question, ok, i will think it through.

Ari Erenthal
May 19, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I'm curious. Why don't you want to use a DDNS?

If not for the DDNS and NAS requirements, you would be happy with a Dropcam.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 19, 2014

I'm curious. Why don't you want to use a DDNS?

Because i am still unsure that the internet provider i have to do with can provide a public IP address. Also, it is for security reasons.

If not for the DDNS and NAS requirements, you would be happy with a Dropcam.

Are you telling that the Dropcam can't send videos directly to a NAS?

Ari Erenthal
May 19, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Are you telling that the Dropcam can't send videos directly to a NAS?

Not their business model. They sell the camera for cheap and make their money on people subscribing to their cloud service. Is your customer in the US?

How about the Brickcom WCB-100AE?

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 20, 2014

Not their business model. They sell the camera for cheap and make their money on people subscribing to their cloud service.

Ok.

Is your customer in the US?

No, we are in Italy.

How about the Brickcom WCB-100AE?

It seems interesting. Do you already know how about its image quality?

Ari Erenthal
May 20, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

It seems interesting. Do you already know how about its image quality?

Acceptable for the price. Should show a face at a distance of ~22 feet or so.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 21, 2014

I notice that the model you have specified hasn't IR, and the model that has it arrives at about 300€; we haven't that budget, for the moment.

Thank you for your time.

OH
Oscar Hsieh
May 19, 2014

You can try a Brickcom camera like the WCB-100Ae you mentioned (they offer their own DDNS called EASYLINK where at the firmware you just name the camera and it will try to setup the ports in your model, will work with a not too sophisticated modem) you can youtube to check on this feature.

Then you have other options up and down in terms of price / quality:"

Dlink is popular too for WiFi cube cameras, then on the upper side you might want to check on AXIS .

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 20, 2014

It seems that the AE model haven't the IR, right?

OH
Oscar Hsieh
May 21, 2014

HI Alberto, i think you are looking more into a model like WCB-200Af with infrarred built in, PIR sensor, Microphone, speaker, SD card, and two megapixel and with a much inexpensive cost lower than the WCB-100Ae. And it also comes with a EASYLINK

check with your local dealer for a WCB-200Af :)

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 22, 2014

I haven't find that model in Italy. Thank you however :)

Jeffrey Hinckley
May 20, 2014

I have also been testing the Hikvision 2512 with wifi and onboard SD storage along with the Hikvision DDNS service. Connection is via the Hikvision Windows client or their mobile app. Have not tried or tested the NAS application, but it exists. Works well for a $200 camera with D/N and integrated IR. Plug in and go. (You may have to specially order the wifi/audio version of this camera). It is also IP66 if you need to deploy outside. I like this compact dome over their standard value domes because it has 3 axis alignment allowing deployment on walls and ceilings.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 20, 2014

I hope this wasn't a strange question but can this dome cameras be placed, for example, on a table while framing in front of it (for example, a door or a corridor)? I ask this because we have the need to often move the camera from a room to another.

Jeffrey Hinckley
May 21, 2014

It does have one of those annoying pigtails (they must do this for the IP66 rating) which gets in the way, but it could be easiliy moved around when just used with a 12vdc wall plugin transformer. Not sure of the wifi range. Camera is in an aluminum enclosure with the antenna inside, so not sure how the sheilding affects it. If I was to use it for this application, I would probably mount it to a shallow pvc gang box and install some stickon rubber feet. The square compact dome design has a slight downtilt which would make setting flat on a desk ok.

I was somewhat amazed to the adaptive motion detection on this cheap camera. Seems to be very reliable with few false activations day or night. Much better that many more expensive brands I have used. Detects slight motion even in the distant background. (I will refrain from listing the 5-10 manufacturers I am thinking of with really bad basic motion analytics - you know - the cameras that record all night when everybody goes home - but not enough during the day when needed).

Neat little cheap camera which supports 64 GB storage cards and has decent android/ios mobile app.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 23, 2014

Ok, thank you for your informations. However, given our budget, i think we'll buy a D-Link DCS-5222L that seems satisfy all our needs (only the IR distance i should check).

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 23, 2014

Uhm, there would be the DCS-2136L but it costs more.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
May 26, 2014

However, your 2512 hasn't WiFi, hasn't it?

Jeffrey Hinckley
May 27, 2014

The ds-2cd2512 has wifi if you get the w option. Online pricing 198 bucks.

AR
Alberto Riccitelli
Sep 11, 2014

A greeting and a new thanks for you all.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions