Camera For Garage Door Openers?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 12, 2017
IPVM

Is this a thing that people want? I just came across it online. Video below of one of the handful of offerings to show the pitch:

Does not seem to be offered by any of the big consumer providers so wondering if it is the next big thing or just not very appealing?

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 12, 2017

What does this garage door opener with embedded camera cost in relation to other, non-camera garage door openers?

If the difference is (as an easy mathematical example) $75 and they can equip their garage door opener with this camera for $50, then it's a no-brainer - why not offer it just to see who might buy it?  It's a shot at $25 more earnings per device sold vs non-camera openers.

I imagine that only those without their own camera systems would be inclined to buy this garage door opener with a camera - just so they could have a camera if they were putting in a garage door opener anyway.

If someone already had a surveillance system I would think it easier to just place a camera in the garage to do the same thing this thing does, vs trying to integrate the opener camera into their existing system.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 12, 2017

I like it.  

Now that the door openers come with an app, and doors get pried open in a few ways or in my case a sneaky cat as I drive away causes issues.  Built into the door app makes sense for those more concerned about the door being open than overall security. 

Onvif wireless would be a bonus. 

(2)
Brian Karas
Aug 12, 2017
IPVM

I think it is pretty cool.

Many times garage doors are left open, especially houses with kids it seems. Plus, you tend to have things stored in garages that are easy targets for theft (bikes, lawnmower, yard equipment, etc.). An overhead spot is a good location for a camera, and mounting it on the opener gives easy access to power.

However, my guess is that given this is from Ryobi, it cheaps it out where it really matters. I would be surprised if the dynamic range of the camera was truly adequate for the purpose for example.

(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Does not seem to be offered by any of the big consumer providers so wondering if it is the next big thing or just not very appealing?

Ryobi is made by TTI (same company that owns Milwaukee) for Home Depot. I looked online and my localHome Depot has 6 in the store.

Or do you mean by other manufacturers? 

JH
John Honovich
Aug 12, 2017
IPVM

Yes, by consumer security / automation providers. There's no Nest garage cam or Ring garage cam, etc, etc.

I noticed this because the company behind the $39 Walmart camera is now releasing a garage door controller / camera, video below:

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What's the point of integration between the two devices, just shared power?

Can it at least reverse the door real quick if it doesn't recognize the incoming plate?

Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I have had a Dahua box cam on the bottom side of my garage door opener for years. I used the contact closure output on the camera for easy remote opening via the camera app. That is, until I upgraded to a smart opener that has it's own app for opening the door (Chamberlain myQ). I still use the camera, but no longer have the IO connected.

The reason why I made the switch was that every time the camera reboots, it opens the garage door on boot up. And as we all know well, Dahua cameras are set to reboot every Tuesday at 2AM. I would wake up Wed AM to an open garage door. At first, I blamed my kids for leaving it open. After checking video, I quickly realized why the door was open. I disabled the auto reboot, but any other outage would still trigger the open. That's when I looked into the myQ Gateway.

(9)
U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 14, 2017

THAT... is bloody hysterical, Jon.

SD
Shannon Davis
Aug 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think this is a slick idea especially for the average homeowner. The only issue i see is if the camera breaks and they don't make it anymore. 

(1)
John Scanlan
Aug 14, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

I agree with Jon and Brian (and others).  I have 4 young kids and my house is like Grand Central Terminal with friends & family.  My garage doors are often left open. When they are left open I receive a push notification and email.

Before I close the door I always check to see if there are kids playing, wife unloading the car, etc.

If there is no one around, I close the door(s) from the Chamberlain app.

I like the Ryobi idea, but like others would like to see how well it actually works. 

Brian Karas
Aug 14, 2017
IPVM

BTW, as a note, I had Chamberlain openers at my last house, and Genie at the current house.

The Chamberlain app blows the Genie app out of the water, to the point that I am going to end up replacing my openers just because I hate the app so much and miss things like the reminders the Chamberlain app featured.

The Genie app/system is slow to respond, and also insists on doing a "warning" before opening or closing the door from the app, flashing a light and making a beep-beep-beep-beep sound like a backup alarm. I can see where some people might want that, but it just delays everything, and you cannot disable it.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 16, 2017
IPVM

SmartVue says they are the video platform used by the Ryobi garage door opener:

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions