California Train System Fiasco Over Releasing Surveillance Video

JH
John Honovich
Jul 19, 2017
IPVM

Public information or not?

Surveillance video has become the center of debate in California. Some reasons offered include because they were minor and because of their race.

Watch the embedded local TV video below:

Now, a victim of the BART attack is suing them and criticizing BART for not releasing the video.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 19, 2017

I am not a lawyer.

Statutorial exclusions exist for things such as the age of those on the video maybe or for some other protected status like it being evidence for upcoming court trials or something.

Withholding the video because of her personal views regarding why the media want the clip appears to me to be misguided and vulnerable to legal scrutiny.

I'm still not a lawyer.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Statutory :)

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 20, 2017

You are correct.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 19, 2017

Poor BART

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 19, 2017

Petty crime?  Phone Snatching?  Sounds like they're trying to downplay the crime of robbery, which is a felony and not a petty crime. 

BART will lose riders, whether they release the video or not.  Riding these trains during commute times, when trains are crowded with people going to and from work might be safe.  But, on weekends and at night, there are just some places you should not go, or things you should not do.

They installed working cameras so they can "solve crimes",  but what priority do they place on preventing crime.  Not a word was mentioned on prevention and keeping riders safe, just solving crimes now that they have working cameras.

I think this same train system recently took down a phone app that riders could use to report crimes while riding on the trains, for the same reason they're giving for not releasing the video.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 19, 2017

I'm not sure if they took down the app or not.  But, the app was call BART Watch and in 2015 there was some controversy over how the app was being used. 

(1)
Joseph Parker
Jul 20, 2017

Do they not understand that parsing video releases due to race is the most racist thing they could possibly do?

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions