Subscriber Discussion

Calculator Issues And Recommendations

JK
Jim Krile
Mar 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have been using the calculator quite a bit for about 6 months now. I absolutely love it, but in the course of that time, have found some issues that I would like to know if anyone else is having and/or if IPVM is aware of and addressing. This is not a criticism as I think what the IPVM team has produced is an incredibly useful design tool.

1. Scene Select - Several problems with this. 1. If I select a scene, when I save a project and return to it later, all the cameras are back to the default scene the camera loads with. 2. Sometimes I select a scene, but then I have to mouse over the scene and pan around it to get it back to what it should look like. Its like the scene gets digitally zoomed in and panned. 3. I really wish there was a generic "building exterior" scene, and several panoramic scenes you could select.

2. It would be extremely helpful if there was an undo button.

3. Right click menus wont go away unless you choose an action from them. This is a problem because sometimes to think you are on a camera and you right click to do a camera edit function, but it brings up the right click menu of the map. Then you can't get rid of that menu unless you pick from one of its options, none of which you intended to do.

4. When using a PDF overlay, zooming in to a certain point makes the google map disappear. It would be nice if this could be adjusted.

5. BETA camera mounting height/aiming - This feature has a big issue. When I try to change the aiming angle, it uses the number I place in there and subtracts that from the camera mounting height. I put a camera at 10' with 0 deg aiming. When I put in 5 deg aiming, the camera mounting height automatically changed to 5'.

6. There needs to be a way to turn field of view projections off (similar to the check box for IR limit line being turned of). When you have a layout with 60 cameras for instance, it is just too hard to read with all those overlapping fov. Ideally there should be a "turn all FOV off" and "on" and then the ability to turn individual cameras off/on by right click menu.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2017
IPVM

Jim, thanks for submitting this. Tomorrow, John Scanlan on our team is going to review this point by point and we will give you feedback.

John Scanlan
Mar 29, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Jim,

I went through the issues listed - thanks for reporting them.

#1 Scene Select

1.1 I am unable to recreate this issue.  When I select a scene  / save / exit / open that project the scene remains what I have select.  If you send a permalink to a project where this is happening I can troubleshoot it or present it our developers to troubleshoot

1.2 I also was unable to recreate the problem, can you send a permalink to a project that shows this issue?  When I add a camera the scene is centered on the point of interest / middle of the sample image.  I would like to look at the project in an effort to troubleshoot it.

1.3 I will send it in as a feature request for consideration.  In the interim you can also upload your own scenes:

#2 Undo Feature: A request for this has been made, as soon as I get an update I will report it here.

#3 Right Click Menus: This is a known issue (thanks to feedback like yours) and will be resolved in the V3 release of the calculator coming soon.

#4 Maps Disappear: I was able to recreate the issue /captured it as a gif and logged the issue with our development team.  I will provide a status as soon as I have one.

#5 Mount Height: The mounting height would typically be higher than the target height and the tilt will be a negative number (down tilt).  If scene height / target is 10' and we tilt the camera up 5° we will have to mount the camera rather low to shoot up at the scene.

#6 Hide FoV: This a request that we have.  It will not be included in the V3 changes, but will be addressed later in the year.

Thanks again and please send the permalink to jscanlan@ipvm.com.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions