Subscriber Discussion

Burglars Are Standing By Waiting To Answer Your Questions...

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That's right. Check it out.

Burglar On Demand is an advice service on Twitter that provides security tips straight from the minds of those who know the ins and outs of breaking and entering—ex-thieves.

Led by Chief Burglary Consultant, Jon Douglas Rainey, our team of theft experts and Arlo™ engineers are live on Twitter to answer all of your home security questions and arm you with the tips and tactics you can deploy to protect your home.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 09, 2015
IPVM

Uhhh....

Honestly, I am scared in my own home right now, like Honeywell scared....

Also, confused that home cams are a solution to burglaries.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Also, confused that home cams are a solution to burglaries.

You can talk the burglar down via two way audio....

Even if the guy in video is a bona fide bad guy, your dreaming if you think you are going to get that caliber of criminal coming out to your house to sell an Arlo or two.

Probably just some 'wet behind the ears' troublemaker fresh out of Juvenile hall with nothing real on his rap sheet. Probably a shoplifter or if you are really lucky, a peeping tom. But don't get your hopes up.

What question should I tweet them?

Mark Jones
Dec 09, 2015

Wow...This is bad on several levels....that is 4and 1/2 minutes of my life I will never get back.

(2)
DL
David Lieberman
Dec 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

But it's hilarious! I watched it twice!

Ari Erenthal
Dec 09, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Jon Douglas Rainey, the It Takes A Thief guy? That was actually a pretty good show. Full episodes here on YouTube.

I have no idea why this show got canceled. Probably because real burglary is boring to watch.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 09, 2015

Maybe they are "security solution professionals" :)

I think it is a lawsuit waiting to happen telling people to watch their kids in the pool. Most advice is that an adult must be present at the pool for life safety issues.

I also like how they skipped that the cameras - esp. the one outside the front door and the back on the tree need power. Nice and simple - where is the drill?

Oh, and make sure to set a password on your cameras. Might want to check the master bath.

Pretty silly - perimeter security from a cheap consumer cloud cam.

Ari Erenthal
Dec 09, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I also like how they skipped that the cameras - esp. the one outside the front door and the back on the tree need power.

That's actually one of Arlo's most important differentiators, it runs on batteries for a couple of months.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 09, 2015

Ah, thanks. I didn't remember that from a previous post.

However, the camera over the mantle, I thought I saw a power wire...

Batteries adds another layer to issues this "security" system has for protecting your house...

And, with the magnetic base, the thief can easily take the cameras as well.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

And with the magnetic base, the thief can easily take the cameras as well

That's true. Though he will still have a dark 'cloud' hanging over him. For at least 7 days.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 09, 2015
IPVM

"That's actually one of Arlo's most important differentiators, it runs on batteries for a couple of months."

But the new stuff featured in the video is Arlo Q, which is a regular outlet powered camera.

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 09, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

In the video, he made the distinction that the non-audio based cams were completely wireless, but the 2-way audio cams were not wireless.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 10, 2015
IPVM

These guys are dangerously close to making FTC violating claims:

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

These guys are dangerously close to making FTC violating claims.

Indeed. Unfortunately, since this type of pitch is relatively novel, it might be some time before the FTC catches up with the outrageous claims.

In the meantime, the safest course for those demanding competent field assessments from former burglars is to insist on using only Certified and Licensed Burglar Advisors.

A few tips that might come in handy assessing the your Advisor

• Burglar should have documented "job" history
  • Burglar should be completely unbondable
  • Burglar should repeatedly fail background test

Note a failed drug test, while nice, is NO substitute for a failed background test.

Also note that one size does not fit all. Consider the venue: Commercial vs. Residential vs. Industrial.

A 'smash and grabber' is totally different than a 'second story guy'. Specialties are another differentiator, lock picking, safe cracking, tripwire and sheer face repelling are just a few that might be offered.

Finally, make sure and interview your Burglar in person before signing on.

Pro tip: Dust for prints after, good Burglars leave none.

(2)
Marty Major
Dec 14, 2015
Teledyne FLIR

Nobody has any problem with a self-confessed, (hopefully) former burglar doing security assessments of your house - before you buy?

What if you decide not to buy? Now you've got a (hopefully) former burglar with intimate details of the layout and contents of your house... and you just pissed him off by saying no and wasting his time.

: |

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Now you've got a (hopefully) former burglar with intimate details of the layout and contents of your house...

And he's got a legitimate reason for having his DNA and fingerprints all over the house.

Only one thing has a chance at stopping him in that case, the (gulp) Burglar Blaster....

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions