Subscriber Discussion

Best Recommendations For Recessed Alarm Sensors?

Jason Neubauer
Jun 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Looking for ideas/best practices/pitfalls on putting contact sensors on 130 operable windows in a commercial building. Picture an "L" shaped building, 3 floors, 33K sq feet per floor. Each window is 2'x2'. Aluminum store front with a crank handle. Each floor has 2 IDF or Network Closets.

The owner is a fresh air nut. Enough said.

I assume that hardwire is preferred method, drop a zone expander in each IDF???

For aesthetics they would like concealed sensors - any recommendations for storefront aluminum?

Thanks in advance.

NOTICE: This comment has been segmented into a related discussion: Recommendation For Small Access Control System With Integrated Intrusion Alarm?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Note: I've broken this up into two separate questions for better quality responses.

Mark Kirkeby
Jun 23, 2016

Couple notes

and Expander or 2 as needed in each IDF is your best bet, just be certain that you do not exceed your maximum cable distance for these devices. In a installation of this size wireless would be cumbersome, Hard Wired is always preferred and wireless as a solution for when wire is not available. But that is up to you. Wireless typically will not have a small recessed design.

Many window manufactures will void warranty if you drill into the casing, make certain of this as part of your plan. For a job like this my preference would be to use a 3/8 contact and a earth magnet. and make sure that you plan for EOL at the end of line.

(1)
Jason Neubauer
Jun 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Mark,

Thanks for the tip about the windows, didn't think of that. Do you have any favorite small 3/8" contacts?

Mark Kirkeby
Jun 24, 2016

I dont this I will call out brands, I will say that I generally use what is on sale, or on the shelf at ADI and Tri-Ed , and have had great luck with all of them, I think just any reputable manufacture will suit your needs , the products are nearly identical across the board.

My only preference and this is only me, is to use contacts with screw terminals, easy to change if you ever need to, and this is contrary to my training to always solder~~

Mark Kirkeby
Jun 24, 2016

A small surface contact in the upper corner of a window is very discreet if done well, it is the only answer to not drilling window casings.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions