Build Your Own $90 8MP PoE Camera

Brian Rhodes
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The maker movement is fascinated with video surveillance cameras.

Recently this full set of build instructions for a PoE powered network board camera was published to a Raspberri Pi hobbyist site. Here's a short video overview:

I added up the cost of components and I think the BOM can be purchased or scrounged together for about $90.

One of the most interesting aspects here is that unlike the 'real' surveillance camera market almost no attention is paid to camera video quality, and everything is about component selection, assembly/ build quality and enclosure design:

The camera is a stock 8MP board (only 1080p @ 30fps), the PoE adapter is scratch built, and there is room for an SSD inside the enclosure. There is also a giant heat sink for some reason. But the cable gland is IP66 rated.

I've not seen video quality from a finished unit, but supposedly there is an ONVIF driver for this in the works.

Overall, fairly sophisticated for a DIY tinker project!

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

No thanks. For $90 I can find much better 1080p, hell even 4MP, cameras with integrated IR and basic analytics. And I don't have to McGuyver a solution either. Oh yeah, and I also get warranty and support from the manufacturer.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

But you might have a shot at putting, "Made in Ohio, USA" on it... :)

(1)
Armando Perez
Nov 21, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

I have an old business partner that would have gone for this. The kind of guy that would install Linux on a toaster. Its never about whether you SHOULD, only about whether you CAN.

(1)
JW
JP Wenger
Nov 22, 2016

Edit: I work for Dahua USA

These are ONVIF compliant too. I built mine with a Pi zero and $45 in parts I had laying around at home. Was even able to add the device to several Dahua NVRs. Now to build out the PTZ controls!

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions