Subscriber Discussion

How Can I Boost Cell Signal Through Forest?

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Apr 19, 2017

I hope this is not too off topic...

One of our cctv clients wants us to help them boost cell signal at their property.

Their houses, shop, etc are all in a thick forest and they dont get much AT&T cell signal at all.

They set up a 190 foot pole.

There is plenty of cell signal at the top of that pole which is above the trees.

They want us to get the signal down to the base of the pole so they can have good cell signal on their property.

Any suggestions?

Ethan Ace
Apr 19, 2017

How big is the property? What is the building construction? 

If they're looking to cover multiple buildings there are several commercial options available. It's generally not that difficult to install, though ideally someone will go up that pole with a directional antenna and find the best signal (and I'd hate to be the person 190' up a pole). An omni antenna may work fine as well if signal is strong up there.

Ari Erenthal
Apr 19, 2017

If they have internet access, they could set up a microcell

You could also contact AT&T directly and ask about leasing some of your client's land for a cell tower. 

Brian Rhodes
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Like Ethan mentions, there are 'booster' kits that include external antennas for receiving and broadcasting signal.

Generally if you can get an antenna up high enough, then you can shape the broadcast pattern closer to the area/height it is going to be used, ie: under a tree canopy.

My part of the country is relatively flat, so I have no direct experience.

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Apr 19, 2017

I forgot to say...we have fiber running from the bottom of the pole to the customers house. 

The fiber run is 1600 feet.

I talked to Wilson and they said it was not really possible because of the fiber...

Anyone else have any tips?

Ethan Ace
Apr 19, 2017

Do you have a TESSCO account? In the past they were always helpful on applications like this. And they have a pretty wide variety of equipment. I'd try giving them a call.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions